OpenIndiana USB ethernet support

brianmat

Weaksauce
I've just finished putting together an OI/Napp-It install for our VMWare backup datastore and the server I am using has only 2 gig NIC ports and 1 card slot which is taken up by the RAID card. It's one of the UnixSurplus Rackable servers.

I want to be able to put a USB dongle on the server for SSH and web GUI access and use the 2 NIC ports to go on our ISCSI/storage network so we are isolated completely. I'm just having some issues trying to find a good how to on doing this in OI. It seems much easier in the Debian/Ubuntu worlds, so I am assuming I am missing a keyword to help narrow my searches.

I have 2 different dongles plugged in to see if I can get 1 to work. One is a Winstars WS-UL220G and the other is a generic 10/100 dongle which listed Linux on the box. Nothing seems to list Solaris specifically, so maybe I am just making an incorrect assumption about USB support.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get at least one of these setup correctly?

Hardware support of Solaris is mainly given on typical server hardware. I do not know any USB to ethernet adapter to work with OI/Solaris.

On the other hand, if you use iSCSI, all other services are listening on your NICs as well. You cannot exclude them from a NIC beside using the firewall or flow settings with flowadm or using other protocols like FC.

So your options are either local management or management via one of your NICs.

Back