OpenDNS

About 2 years ago I started switching over my clients to this...mainly for the added protection from bad sites/malware.

Performance wise...it may...or may not be faster than your current ISPs DNS servers. From personal experience...my prior DSL ISP, as well as Comcast...I found OpenDNS slower. But with my current cable ISP..which is small, and has slow DNS servers..I find OpenDNS faster.

For clients...since most are business networks with their own DC..hence local DNS server..I set the DNS forwarders to OpenDNS. Gives an added layer of protection against known bad sites.

Content filtering...I have a small magnate school using them as their DNS forwarder..and they do content filtering through it.

For a "free" service...that can add some protection for the network...two thumbs up from me.

If strictly for a performance boost...it may or may not be faster than your ISPs DNS servers..so give it a try.

OpenDNS is great and makes for a good DNS service. I use it at both home and work. But, to trumpet it as a security solution is down right foolish. OpenDNS only serves as a "map" for the internet, translating easy to remember domain names into ip addresses. However, just like in the real world, if you already know where your destination is, you don't need a map. It offers features like phishing prevention which while nice, are not comprehensive. OpenDNS makes a great DNS and even serves well as a secondary security component. However, to place it centerstage as a primary security suite is retarded at best. Theres no real filtering, no ad blocking, no virus scanning, etc, etc, etc.

^^ Agreed. The single best thing (imo) about OpenDNS is setting up the "shortcuts." Type in Forum into the address bar and have it resolve to www.hardforum.com is great. Love it.

As others have already said, we use it on our internal DNS servers as forwarders and it works okay, we have additional filtering options. I would not make it a central component to ensuring network security but it does add a layer and keeps the untrained from trying to access sites that we have blocked.

works great as a second layer to commercial solutions.
I use it at work and at home.

i used it for a while, and then a website i visited frequently kept showing up as server unresponsive even though i could ping there IP, and when i used my ISPs DNS it worked fine and it matched the IP that OpenDNS had.

Frankly, i haven't been back since, but i might give them another try.

Back