OpenDNS Experiences...?

TheCreator

2[H]4U
How many of you use opendns, especially for web filtering in a business environment? Pros/Cons? Reliability? What are your experiences with opendns?

It has been AWESOME. I always worry that they will get to big and crash or something but that hasn't happened thus far.

I also agree - It's GREAT!. I use it at home and I set up my old company with it. Far faster and more reliable than the ISP DNS servers. Plus you get all the filtering at the same time. And they just added more options about a month ago. For business use, you can also upload your own logo and customize the pages to say something like, "This website is not allowed because of Policy #12345" or something like that.

I agree on the reliability as well. Haven't had any issues there. I used my ISP's DNS servers and once in a while they would crash. OpenDNS has been rock stable.

They are very reliable after 2 months of using them, I have not used their web filtering yet though

Go for it.

I've been using OpenDNS now for about 3 months to do DNS lookups for 3 school districts. The filtering does a great job, and the performance is good as well. There is no downside that I can think of.

I use it for most business networks I setup, for the purpose of added security..known bad sites are automatically blocked.

I have a small school using them for content filtering.

As for performance..it depends on your ISP. When I had private DSL..and when I had Comcast....OpenDNS was much slower....so I didn't use them at home. But where I moved to....I don't like the local cable ISP..their DNS servers are slower...so I use OpenDNS servers for myself..and it's a little faster than the ISPs.

So...depends. Weight the added layer of security by using them...versus a gain or loss in network performance.

Back