OpenCL, windows 10, 32 bit. (SOLVED!)

bigstusexy

2[H]4U
I just upgraded my cards so I'm shuffling them around between my machines and I decided to put my cold card in my DVR (as I can't put it in my second/portable computer) even though it's way over kill but at least it can fold right?

No, I'm having trouble getting OpenCL going and I've worked on this more than I have physically getting the card in there!

It's an R9 200 series (280) and at first everything seemed fine, I got the AMD drivers in even though windows loaded some while I was installing and set up another folding client but it kept giving me a bad work unit error for the video card. This is a folding specific question, all this seems to mean is that the driver isn't returning valid data. Fine I uninstall the driver go with the next one down listed on the AMD page and uninstall, reboot, install slightly older, reboot again and boom. OpenCL.dll is no where to be found. I did this several times with old and new driver and nothing places it back. I even reinstalled folding and noting.

In searching for an answer I found a page that gives the amd OpeCL 2.0 driver. Except it does't list windows 10, could care less maybe 8.1 would work, but it also only lists 64bit OSes!

First, does AMD even support OpenCL on 32 windows 10?
Second, help?

Unfortunately the suggestion of wipe it out (windows) and start over isn't really an option because setting up all the software on this DVR box is a pain. Also if I were doing to do that I'd just go 64bit away. This is my only 32bit OS insall besides my sever.
Also I don't really have any games on this machine as that's not what it does but I did have duty calls and I ran that for a minue actually in engine and it had no problem so I don't believe the card is damaged. Anything I found about an OpenCL issue with AMD dates back to at latest 2013 and all of it seems to be outdated.

EDIT: I've noticed another symptom too. When I run the uninstaller and hit reboot now I get two messages that the Recycle Bin on Drive C;\ is corrupt. If I hit yes or not it doesn't matter, after I compete that process the machine reboots. There is no issue with the Recycle Bin.

Last edited:
SOLVED!

I'm going to rant but I'll try to not do it so much. Basically it's their fault. While searching and trying things for a few hours today I eventually ran into a thread on their forums about someone who has some old cards in corssfire on a server now and said he had issues installing OpenCL years ago but fiddled with the registry and got it now - but now that he moved them to this server he forgot what he did. Someone seemingly from AMD pops up and says they tested the Crimson series drivers and found OpenCL not to be working in it so they pulled it... The suggestion to that person was to use a CCC driver since they are using an old product that isn't updated anyway.

So I went back to the AMD site and went to drivers, on the right there is a link for downloading older versions. I went all the way to the last driver that didn't say Crimson, however it was crimson, it was just listed as 15.12.something. I don't really care as all this will be doing is folding. Uninstalled the current ones, installed those and boom, OpenCL support was available!

What ticks me off is there seems to be no mention of this and some of the driver log comments talk about changes or improvements to OpenCL. Also the 64bit version of the driver seems to include OpenCL in both 64 and 32, which would suggest 32 bit is working right? Meh, I dunno. Since this is considered a part of the display driver there is no quick way to tell if it's in there or not. The way I knew this one would probably work is that I opened the installer with 7zip, went to packages/drivers/Display/WT_INF/B(number changes)/ and you should see a file named amd_opencl32.dll (among others but this one is on top) if you do then OpenCL is included in that release. I also suspect that the uninstaller has just been leaving older implementations but I am just guessing. I do know that the AMD software will not remove Raptr or Vulkan, you'll have to do that yourself. It also seems to leave lots of remnants still.

The card is folding, hope it doesn't blow up. I'm good.

Back