Open World MMO's?

aFive

2[H]4U
What are some of the good upcoming MMO's, or ones that are currently out which feature large open worlds and good graphics? I really liked WoW at first, specially for its openness. LOTRO was fun as well. I may end up going back to either one, but is there anything else out there? GW2 looks promising, no release date as far as I know yet though :(.

Been out of the loop for a bit :D. fill me in :).

The next big mmo that is coming out soon is Star Wars the Old Republic. Not sure how big it is since it's just starting out and it's a more story driven mmo. However, there should be a lot of content to explore if your looking for something new.

The next big mmo that is coming out soon is Star Wars the Old Republic. Not sure how big it is since it's just starting out and it's a more story driven mmo. However, there should be a lot of content to explore if your looking r something new.

I more like themes such as ones in lotro and gw, even wow. something with lots of swords and bows and magic, no guns or modern worlds really, that's why gw2 looks so interesting to me. How is age of conan these days? Played at launch, but it was rather buggy at the time and it seemed to have bewn dying

Rift is completely open like WoW is with seamless zones, one of the better modern MMOs, before that I played Warhammer for a good while, that has pairs of seamless zones which are tiered, they all have loading screens between the tiers and main cities.

Conan is F2P now and so is LOTRO so you can check them out for time/download bandwidth. I've been meaning to give LOTR a shot for the heck of it but life/work/BF3/WoW suck my time away.

are you just looking to run around the open world for funzies?

An MMO with a huge open world would be Vanguard Saga of Heroes. It's through SOE and the spiritual successor to EQ. It's not a bad of a game at all. The graphics are pretty decent and it has some very unique classes which each have their own role in combat and grouping.

not trying to be mean but what do you mean open world? Is there more than one or two that aren't? You like WoW well your wait is over friend! Google mmo's theres 3279868965600 mmos exactly like it.

How many mmos let you build your own house, droids, and vehicles and doesn't like a world full of rejects from the never ending story? Exactly 1 and Sony fucked it up and shut it down for the sake of generic mmo studios every where. Thank goodness. Now I can spend the rest of my mmo existence as a Drizzt clone clicking M1 over and over until my finger falls and starting a new thread every two days asking how my TDR looks or whatever the fuck that is.

/rant

I know you said you liked fantasy settings but if you check out fallen earth it would be worth a couple hours. it is huge.

not trying to be mean but what do you mean open world?

I think he meant games that aren't heavily instanced.

WoW has instances for dungeons and things, but the actual world is a single open space you can travel across.

Compare it to cames like Age of Conan, or even WAR where you have to go through a loading screen between zones, and sometimes there are multiple instances of the same zone.

Hah, such very low expectations if you think any of those games had graphics comparable with single player or small team multiplayer games.

For a quick reality check, if those MMOs have "good" graphics, what do you consider Crysis2, Uncharted, BF3, Bioshock Infinite, Batman AS, etc to be? Virtual reality?

Subjective.

Still the best looking Ambient Occlusion implementation to date with near zero gpu cost to view.
And Musashimaru can run pretty fast for a sumo wrestler... but he's still slow.

Gw2 will probably be heavily instanced if It's anything like gw.

If you have been keeping up with GW2 at all, You would see that its only going to be instanced in certain situations, with most of it being open world.

My vote = Runescape. Best gaem evar.

If you have been keeping up with GW2 at all, You would see that its only going to be instanced in certain situations, with most of it being open world.

My vote = Runescape. Best gaem evar.

Gw2 will probably be heavily instanced if It's anything like gw.

What the guy above said :D. Even thought GW was instanced, it was fun. Yea, I was tired of being forced to a path, but it was still a really excited game to me :D.

Hah, such very low expectations if you think any of those games had graphics comparable with single player or small team multiplayer games.

For a quick reality check, if those MMOs have "good" graphics, what do you consider Crysis2, Uncharted, BF3, Bioshock Infinite, Batman AS, etc to be? Virtual reality?

And Musashimaru can run pretty fast for a sumo wrestler... but he's still slow.

:Facepalm:

I wouldn't call it "low expectations," but instead "realistic" ones. FFS, you can't seriously expect an MMO to look like a fantasy version of Battlefield 3. Rift still looks pretty damn good.

What the guy above said :D. Even thought GW was instanced, it was fun. Yea, I was tired of being forced to a path, but it was still a really excited game to me :D.
Vanguard is definitely not instanced. I don't think the game has any instancing at all.

Vanguard is definitely not instanced. I don't think the game has any instancing at all.

But did it ever manage to stop being a bit of a clusterfuck? It had a few features I enjoyed (the huge, open world being one of them), but god damn, they went out of their way to make that game difficult to like.
I didn't even realise it was still up and running, to be honest...

Downloaded RIFT last night and payed for a month. Didn't have the time to actually check it out, but i did make a character and loaded into the game :D. Let's see if it's any fun when I get back. Are there still plenty of people playing? All servers said LOW under population this morning, other than 1 Oceanic one.

I wouldn't call it "low expectations," but instead "realistic" ones. FFS, you can't seriously expect an MMO to look like a fantasy version of Battlefield 3.
Thank you, that was my point from the beginning. You should not expect an MMO to have good graphics, as in compared to other modern non-MMO titles. They are mutually exclusive, as they tend to account for the lowest common denominator and even WoW would make great systems chug with fifty people firing magic sprinkle rainbow explosions on the screen simultaneously.

Eve-Online is about the most open sandboxish game out there. The graphics are awesome if you are zoomed in.

Rift is a linear treadmill from 1 to 50. There's nothing open about it. You literally travel along a single road from quest hub to quest hub. Well, a couple of the zones are a circuit and not a single road but it's the same deal.

I miss the MMOs that really were open plan, where you had to travel great distances, without a map or waypoint indicators and the geography and settlements made sense as a world, rather than being contrived design that you see post-WoW; there's no sense of exploration or mystery any more. You just do what the NPCs tell you every step of the way and grind instances for loot.

Rift is a linear treadmill from 1 to 50. There's nothing open about it. You literally travel along a single road from quest hub to quest hub. Well, a couple of the zones are a circuit and not a single road but it's the same deal.

I miss the MMOs that really were open plan, where you had to travel great distances, without a map or waypoint indicators and the geography and settlements made sense as a world, rather than being contrived design that you see post-WoW; there's no sense of exploration or mystery any more. You just do what the NPCs tell you every step of the way and grind instances for loot.

Really? I have several different leveling paths available to me (PvP, instance running, questing, rifts) and at the level I'm at, I have at least three zones (that I'm aware of) that I can quest in to level.

Back