Open source vs "regular" e-commerce platform

I would like to come up with my own e-commerce site, There is a lot of data and things to consider.

I would like to be the owner of my site (only pay a small amount for hosting), and to be able to change the code for my needs.

Can someone help me with that?

I may be don't know even what to ask ...

You need to explain more. Drupal, Wordpress, or joomla can do you quite well to get your business up and off the ground.

Hosting is pretty cheap anywhere, and you can do what you want when you want.. though that means you need to know your shit.

Modi123 has the right idea. Start by looking up some open source content management systems (CMS).

He lists quite a few of the more popular ones. They can be as easy as drag and drop with a premade template, and most are as customizable as you care to dig into

I would say you can get something up and running for little to no cost using wordpress and woo commerce among others.

CubeCart is fairly simple to customise & free. Works well TBH & is less of a headache than a lot of the other solutions I have tried over the years.

Liverpool eh? Just minutes from me!

As others have said, look into the supported and popular open source systems to start with such as WooCommerce - as you'll find a whole host of support online for most issues.

If you find yourself in the fortunate position that you need to scale to an enterprise level system in the future, you'll be looking at Salesforce Commerce Cloud and the like. But, keep it simple and stick with something popular enough that should you run into issues you can ask almost anyone and get support.

Back