open source content management systems?

teck9

Limp Gawd
ive been looking around for the best strategies for creating a free community site where people would be able to have thier own accounts/profiles, there would be sections for news, sections for reviews of area businesses and things like that.

i have heard a little about content management systems such as php nuke and phpwebsite. i was wondering if anyone here has used them to run a site similar to what im describing or whether they would even be the right choice for such a project. i dont have much webprogramming experience but ive been doing general coding for a while so i dont think it would be a problem to modify code, just a problem to start from scratch.....

anyone with ideas or insight please help me out

--teck9

Well, the first thing you need to understand is the difference between a portal system and a CMS. A portal system is basically a ready-to-go modulare portal which you can configure quickly and easily (like phpNuke, postNuke, or phpWebSite) where as a CMS is more like a web application framework (like ez publish CMS).

You are probably looking for a portal system, any of them will likely include all the functionality you asked for- and the *Nukes certainly will. I have installed, configured, tested, and reviewed most of the common ones (though never actually ran a public site using one) and I think my favorite is probably phpWebSite. Of the *Nukes, I prefer postNuke.

You shouldnt have any trouble installing and configuring either one, they are both well documented and pretty simple to get going.

i second phpwebsite as a recomendation, mambo is also good, and e107 is good, though not as easy to modify as the others (or atleast i haven't found it to be)

yea i think im heading in the right direction, thanks for the info so far:)

also i wanted to go with just-hosting.com for the host and they already have a few of these set up on their server, one portal system they list as already installed with any of their packages is xoops. anyone know anything about whether its good or bad?

thanks

--teck9

I've heard some good things about Zope. It doesn't do much out of the box, but it can easily be extended to do whatever you want, with a little work.

I've got PostNuke on one of my sites, but I don't really need most of what it does (I don't need a community style site with comments etc, just one which a selected group of people can update content). I'm currently testing out phpwebsite as a replacement, although it may need a little modification to make it work the way I want.

do u guys know which portal/cms would let my users create their own profiles (each would have a sub domain or somethign) and be able to upload their images and change thier personal info/comments.

im guessing this info would be stored on a mysql db or something liek that on my host's servers..... do i have the right idea about how these things work or am i missing something?

thanks

--teck9

Back