Open File Security Warning for Local Files?

//[T.0.P]//

Limp Gawd
I did a fresh install of XP SP2. When I was restoring my device drivers I didn't have a problem whatsoever. After I ran all the updates I could in Automatic Updates before activating my copy of Windows (Which means I'm still using IE6), everytime I try to run an executable locally, on the system disk, it prompts me an Open File Security Warning.

I did what I could when it came to researching and nothing is out there about this issue. All the issues about the window is about running exes on a network which, to me, is to be expected. But these are exe's on the very system! WTF?!?!?!?!?

HELP, PLEASE!

bump. Open EXE's on optical storage just fine, but it has to ask me what I want to do when opening a file locally? I'm surprised no one has experienced this.

Screenshot. A picture of the error message.

Looks similar to this:

openfile.gif

I get those stupid things too (and i'm on vista). The whole point of disabling UAC is so I didn't have to deal with those, but somehow, they came back! If anybody has a solution to our problem, that would be great.

To disable the warning start the Group Policy Editor (Start > Run, type
-gpedit.msc- and press OK) and go to:

-User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components >
Attachment Manager- then set -Inclusion list for low file types- to
Enabled and enter the file types you don't want to be warned about in
the box (for example: .exe).

Just pray that you have XP Pro, as XP home doesnt have Group policy editor.

or

there is another way, but it involves setting zones, or something, which I would advise against.

I can understand the security measures, since everything these days you download off the net is spam happy. It's a good reminder to scan every file that you do download, but when I can open these files through the command prompt and even open files on a CD/DVD in explorer with no hassle makes the concept questionable: Why only prompt the user to open a file when it's on the system itself? Beats the hell out of me. Maybe Microsoft forgot to tweak up the feature a little bit.

Either way, I'm gonna try to disable it with your method. I might keep it enabled after since most of the time when running an exe, I'm just installing something.

Thanks for the tip!

And yes, I'm running XP Pro. I like tools :)

Update: And it worked!

Back