Open Box Hard Drives

Trimlock

[H]F Junkie
Would or wouldn't you take a chance on open box HDD's?

Or am I asking for a lot of head aches?

Would or wouldn't you take a chance on open box HDD's?

Or am I asking for a lot of head aches?
Summary:

Deep discount + some idea of why they were returned + option to return = I'd chance it.
Otherwise ... pass.

If local and it's discounted enough and there is a simple return policy = Yes!

I picked up 4-6 refurbished Seagate drives (ST31000340NS) back when they had
a firmware issue and were being returned in droves.
Because I knew (or at least was told) the reason for the return and they had been updated
with newer (fixed) firmware, i took the chance. It was mail-order and they are still in use today in my lab NAS.

Summary:

Deep discount + some idea of why they were returned + option to return = I'd chance it.
Otherwise ... pass.

If local and it's discounted enough and there is a simple return policy = Yes!

I picked up 4-6 refurbished Seagate drives (ST31000340NS) back when they had
a firmware issue and were being returned in droves.
Because I knew (or at least was told) the reason for the return and they had been updated
with newer (fixed) firmware, i took the chance. It was mail-order and they are still in use today in my lab NAS.

I'm talking about HGST drives but I'll go ahead and email them about the Open Box reason.

Thanks.

Depends on where you buy them, NE sells open box which are usually just returns because somebody changed their mind.

Amazon sells used [open box] and their return policy is good.
I bought a pair of used [like new] ES.3 drives and was shocked they had ONE HOUR on them!
Somebody formatted, tested and then sent them back which is odd.

They have been rock solid for over a year now.

In general open box just means they can't technically be sold as new but the item is practically new.

If this is the HGST NAS which comes in retail box that makes even more sense if the seal is broken.

Depends on where you buy them, NE sells open box which are usually just returns because somebody changed their mind.

Amazon sells used [open box] and their return policy is good.
I bought a pair of used [like new] ES.3 drives and was shocked they had ONE HOUR on them!
Somebody formatted, tested and then sent them back which is odd.

They have been rock solid for over a year now.

In general open box just means they can't technically be sold as new but the item is practically new.

If this is the HGST NAS which comes in retail box that makes even more sense if the seal is broken.

You just sold it for me then.

Also the ES drives that had 1 hour on them, that sounds like someone who bought them to back up, do a system restore and then returned.

Could very well be, I was expected more around 7K hours, not just 1 hour of up time.
I checked the number for warranty and it had the full 5 years still too.
Best part, I think I paid $65 for them each, a great price for 1TB enterprise drives.

They went into an older machine that can't do SSD due to very old Intel Orom that cannot be updated.

Kinda wish I would have bought two more and did raid10, the ES.3 can really haul in a stripe.

DONT believe the smart values, if they were factory refurbished then those were erased. There are areas on the disk with the real values but need special programs to read them.

Once I bought something open box and I did check it but after taking it home found that the component inside was changed to something older and smaller. Instead of just returning it and saying it did not work I told them the insides were not what was supposed to be in it. It became a big deal and had to talk to the manager and felt like I was trying to pull one on them, all I wanted was them to not just take it back and sell it to someone else. It did work but it was not what was supposed to be. Trying to explain all this took many hours. They would not give me a new one because it was open box and discounted. They kept making excuses about taking it back because it was sold as open box and as is. So I took it to another store and returned it as non working. Never make such a mistake.. It actually stays with you for many years. Even same company but different stores have different return policies, Explaining things would make you look like an idiot trying to be a scientist. Also calculate the value over time, you can get cheap stuff many times and no problems, just need 1 problem for all that to go away..

Back