• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

OPAMPs seating Affect on Audio? Stability?

TheBeelzebub

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 6, 2005
Messages
371
I just replaced the OPAMPs on my HDA Mystique and know that two of them did not seat perfectly, they are slightly tilted. WIll this affect the sound or create a problem anytime down the road? Also, whats the point of Gold plugs when the OPAMPs themselves have steel legs?
 
WIll this affect the sound or create a problem anytime down the road?
No.

Also, whats the point of Gold plugs when the OPAMPs themselves have steel legs?
The leads are not steel.
They are solder "plated" copper.
The Gold finish on the sockets helps prevent oxidation. ;)
 
These things are so clear I cant stand listening anything thats not 320 or higher. I'l have to run that soundtest one day when I figure out how to use it.

I know the gold prevents oxidation, but doesnt it work the same way a chain does? I mean, if you have one weak link, thats how strong your chain is. So if these things are not gold themselves, arent they the weakest link because they will oxidize?
 
TheBeelzebub said:
I know the gold prevents oxidation, but doesnt it work the same way a chain does? I mean, if you have one weak link, thats how strong your chain is. So if these things are not gold themselves, arent they the weakest link because they will oxidize?

no no you're thinking too far into it...the gold-plated jacks are just so that the contact surfaces between the jacks and the plugs don't oxidize. Electrical current depends on having free electrons, so oxidized metal is thus a very poor conductor. But it's only an issue because the contact surfaces are exposed to the air. You don't have to worry about the insides of your wires oxidizing or anything, so they can be copper.
 
I mean, if you have one weak link, thats how strong your chain is. So if these things are not gold themselves, arent they the weakest link because they will oxidize?
Yes, the leads on the opamps will oxidize (which will eventualy degrade the performance) and that is one the caveats about using sockets but there are so many other weak links in your specific chain that I would not worry to much about that one.
I would be more concerned about the low quality coupling capacitors then anything else (even the opamps). ;)
 
Machine tooled sockets will go a long way to prevent oxidation. Most varieties are gold plated as well.
 
Back
Top