• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Oops

bmartin

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 29, 2004
Messages
2,720
So my wife decided to move my desk for me while I was at work, and she accidentally caught my LFE cable under the move. Now the "nipple" is halfway broken inside of the lfe connection in the sub. Any ideas on the best way to get it out? Needlenose pliers aren't doing the trick here,
 
That would be my suggestion :p Can you post a photo by chance, no, not of the wife.

I can when I get home. I am at work right now. Basically the Left RCA/LFE jack has about 1/8" of the tip of the connector still in it. The sub has the L/R config, and it was my only sub cable. I haven't tried hooking it up to the right side, as I was advised LFE goes in left only.

Seriously I am not too mad at her. This just gives me a chance to get a new sub. I had another post I made about the sub sounding louder outside of the room than inside, and I had to tinker with the positioning to an area that sounded decent, but put my desk in the middle of the room. Someone mentioned a down-firing sub may alleviate that. Now is my chance!

I was thinking of replacing it with this: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENESW 10

Anyone in here have any experience with this sub? How about the site?
 
That sub should sound pretty nice. The website has been recommended many times here for the smaller version of that sub (ESW-8) which I guess is no longer being sold there. I'm sure the ESW-10 would be great as well though. :)
 
This happened to me on my MS40.

Here's what I did (following the advice of someone with similar situation on the intraweb):

Take a metallic needle and bend the tip so that it creates a sort of fish hook. Or it can be L-shaped (mine was). Then heat it till the tip turns red. Then stick it into the middle plastic core of the nipple. It will sink in by melting the plastic a little. Try to stick it into the middle, not the sides (helps to have steady hands). Once it's cooled, you pull it out. Usually the metal part will come out with, part of the way, then you pull the metal part by grasping it with a plier.

Also, if the metal part is still stuck in there, someone reported that they got the metal part out by sticking a screwdiver in and kind of slowly pressuring one side and pulling out.

Another method is to use a toothpick and dab one tip with strong glue. Then stick it onto the middle plastic part and wait for it to dry. Then... you know the rest. But the heated needle was fast and painless for me.
 
Right on. I will give that a try when I get out of here. (7 more hours!)
 
Oh damn. I went home, heated up a safety pin, stuck it in and when it didnt come out I was like damn it, alai has no clue. Then i realized that I failed to bend the damn thing lol. Guess I will try again. My wife was babysitting a kid who passed out by my pc, so I didn't have the light to take a pic.

but basically, if you were to look at this picture: https://www.americanconsumercables.com/cart/images/import/29118.jpg (Not my pic, just one pulled from web)

it would be approx half of the "nipple" part of that connector that is completely seated within the connector. The cable was a 25' monster 1000 subwoofer cable (and no, I didn't buy it. I got it for free)


Hopefully one last question. What would you guys recommend as a replacement LFE cable? I was looking at the cheaper audioquest ones off of vanns and audioadvisor, but I really don't know if in a subwoofer, any cable will do.
 
Great job on following the instructions. :D

I think it's high freq that's finicky not low freq but it's been a while so don't quote me. It makes a fair amount of sense physically if you think about it so I think I'll go with that.

Check Sweetwater. They're a bit clingy after-sale but they can be a good source for cables. Some of the Hosa cables are a good price / build quality find - some of them are also cheap crap with plastic connectors, so check the pic to see which it's going to be.
 
Not sure if they sell LFE but Blue Jean Cables and/or Monoprice?
 
Well, I got through half of step 1. That makes me almost as bad as my wife! I will check them as well@home. I looked on monoprice and my search-fu returned no results. :(
 
well damn. I have some decent RCA's already from Monoprice. I will try one of those. A buddy of mine told me a few years ago that it had to be an subbie cable, and I never looked any further into it.
 
For the record, here is the busted cable (Which after another attempt with a hot L-shaped needle did not pull out the remaining tip :( ):

mystuff015.jpg
 
How did it not pull it out? If the needle tip sank into the plastic core, then it should have basically acted like a popsicle stick but with a hook.
 
Back
Top