Only U.S. Apple retail stores getting iPhone 3G

HardOCP News

[H] News
All week there has been talk of Apple sanctioning Canada’s largest wireless carrier by withholding iPhone shipments and so on but, as it turns out, no one outside the U.S. is getting iPhones on Friday anyway. How do you say “ha ha” in Canadian?

While I wouldn't be surprised if Apple isn't very happy about how things have unfolded in Canada (see this piece by Macworld's Jim Dalrymple for a look at the Canadian iPhone zeitgeist), Apple isn't selling the iPhone at any of its retail stores outside the U.S. Canada joins the U.K., Italy, Australia and Japan as countries that will have to rely on Apple's carrier partners in those regions to purchase the iPhone 3G on Friday.

Haha, can't wait to get one! I just hope they are available this weekend without having to brave a line 10 miles long.

you know what i was pissed that rogers plans were out of control, and was hoping they would bring them down or add more for the price and i would have bought the iphone, but now fuck APPLE and their phone, rogers has been advertising on their site the 3g iphone would be available on July 11 now we don't don't even get any. i really hope the 3g iphone make large crashing thud in Canada, and the other countries.

no your right, in the big picture it is non event, but it is kind of unfair for rogers and apple to mislead customers, and i am sure there are people in all those countries who are willing to pay whatever just have the iphone, and now the have to wait even longer.

uhh... Is it me or does no one know how to read? It's not saying the phones aren't coming to canada... it's saying they won't be sold in Apple Stores. It just means you have to buy them at Rogers stores. why is this such a horrible horrible thing?

Umm, that article only says that canadian Apple stores wont sell iphone, meaning Rogers or Fido are the only places to get them now.

Umm, that article only says that canadian Apple stores wont sell iphone, meaning Rogers or Fido are the only places to get them now.
Exactly. Rogers and Fido dealers will surely have them. They have to make sure they tie you down to one of their rip off plans before you get your hands on the new iPhone. Rogers/Fido can't very well set up shop inside an Apple store to do that or go through the hassle of setting up the Apple store to deal with Rogers/Fido customer startups.

Fido's iphone page has fine print that mentions a 30/mth for 300mb plan and 100/mth for 6gig plans. Except they ask you to call Customer Service for more info.

FIDO is probably a better place to get the iPhone. Billing by seconds vs minute @ rogers, and evenings start at 7pm vs 9pm @ Rogers.

http://www.fido.ca/portal/promos/personal/iphone3/en/promotion.jsp

^ see the fine print in the grey box underneath the table. Rogers doesn't have anything like that.

Actually, nevermind, Rogers got that same fine print too.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/iphone_voice_data_packages
...While the iPhone 3G Voice and Data Packages allow you to use this device to its fullest and offer savings over separate voice and data plans, they are not the only options available to you. Other pricing options are available. For example, you may choose to combine one of our new data plans ranging from $30 per month (for 300MB) to $100 per month (for 6GB) with a voice plan. Learn More. They are available by calling 1 888 ROGERS1 or by visiting your nearest Rogers retail location...

uhh... Is it me or does no one know how to read? It's not saying the phones aren't coming to canada... it's saying they won't be sold in Apple Stores. It just means you have to buy them at Rogers stores. why is this such a horrible horrible thing?

i did misread it, but Apple has said that shipments of the iphone to Canada have been diverted to the UK because of the Rogers controversy.

i couldn't give two flips about anything apple. my htc does what i need it too++

I think I am going to get the HTC Mogul for use with that awsome sprint sero plan.

All week there has been talk of Apple sanctioning Canada’s largest wireless carrier by withholding iPhone shipments and so on but, as it turns out, no one outside the U.S. is getting iPhones on Friday anyway. How do you say “ha ha” in Canadian?

all i can say to that is ha ha thanx america.... im glad you're all dumb enough to buy this shit on release day at uber-$$$.. i think i'll wait 12-24 months until you've already paid off that tech and i can walk in and get it for fuck all... i mean shit.. its a mobile phone... my last 5 have all been free (no plans)..

all i can say to that is ha ha thanx america.... im glad you're all dumb enough to buy this shit on release day at uber-$$$.. i think i'll wait 12-24 months until you've already paid off that tech and i can walk in and get it for fuck all... i mean shit.. its a mobile phone... my last 5 have all been free (no plans)..

According to Steve Jobs, all free phones are garbage. :p

Back