Only getting 3950 3DMark06 with 7950GX2 :*(

LordBritish

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 28, 2001
Messages
2,063
I recently stepped-up to a 7950GX2 from a 7900GTX.

However, it seems my new 7950GX2 is performing worse than my "old" 7900GTX.

My MB is a DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D. When I tried to install my 7950GX2 in the usual PCI-e slot closest to the PSU I got a black screenl. So I moved the 7950GX2 to the slot next to it - further down. That solved the black screen problem.

I'm currently using the 91.33 nvidia drivers. After it installed, it said it had to disable "SLI" mode then it wanted me to reboot.

I also notice that I have no "Multi-GPU" options in my control panel.

Strange, huh?

Some step-up. It's a Step-Down !!
 
It is on nVidia's list of compatible motherboards.

Here's a screenshot of my 91.31 control panel:

7950gx2.gif


That doesn't look right???
 
Someone else will link to it, but you can easily modifty that motherboard to work with SLi.
 
I'm not trying to run a quad setup - i'm only trying to run ONE 7950GX2.

You do NOT need an SLI capable motherboard to run ONE 7950GX2.

Furthermore, my motherboard is on the lsit of 7950GX2 compatible motherboards.
 
I sill dont think it has to be modified. Something else is wrong.

Another thing that bothers me is that I can't use the 7950GX2 in the usual PCI-e slot (one closest to the PSU). That results in a black screen.

I have to use it on the slot next to it like this:

7950gx2_02.jpg


Is that normal behaviour for a DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D motherboard and a evga 7950GX2??
 
time for a new board? those it give a black screen on desktop or just wont show when u start ur comp?

EDIT updated bios??
 
The symptom is that the 7950GX2 wont show anything in the top slot - not even the BIOS screen. Absolutely nothing.

However, my previous card (a 7900GTX) worked just fine in the top slot.

Oh yes, I'm using the recommended April 06 BIOS for the MB.
 
I'd mod it to SLi, hell, mine is and I have an ATi card... I did it when I put on my chipset waterblock.
 
Remember that the Ultra-D works like this: The top slot is x16, the second slot is x2 unless you are working in DXG mode which puts both slots at x8. This would probably explain for your benchmark issue.

What do the diagnostic LED's show when you try to boot up the system with the video card in the first slot? A few owners have had no problems with others have had to move the jumpers on the motherboard. It's 50/50 with that combination. :confused:
 
Borgschulze said:
Oooh, change the SLi jumpers over and put the card back in the top slot, see if that works.

They are not SLI jumpers, they are DXG jumpers on the Ultra-D. Unless it has been modified to SLI, it controls DXG.
 
fireluxx said:
Remember that the Ultra-D works like this: The top slot is x16, the second slot is x2 unless you are working in DXG mode which puts both slots at x8. This would probably explain for your benchmark issue.

What do the diagnostic LED's show when you try to boot up the system with the video card in the first slot? A few owners have had no problems with others have had to move the jumpers on the motherboard. It's 50/50 with that combination. :confused:

LED diagnostics looks normal with the 7950GX2 in the top slot but no screen output - just black. I think it's actually booting into windows - I just can't see anything and the HD sound like it's loading windows.

Very strange.

So where's this DXG jumper?
 
Edit: Sorry, my post was wrong.

I doublechecked the manual and it appears that the board does it automatically when two cards are inserted into the PCI-E slots.
 
I dont have any junpers in between my PCI-e slots.

I even checked my manual - doesn't mention anything about DXG.

Ok, i think I see them now - hahaha.
 
LordBritish said:
I dont have any junpers in between my PCI-e slots.

I even checked my manual - doesn't mention anything about DXG.
The big black lengths covering copper leads... are jumpers, very long ones.

Switch them down to the bottom leads instead of the top.
 
This is a doublepost, I apologize.

I doublechecked the manual and it appears that the board does the DXG automatically when two cards are inserted into the PCI-E slots. I don't think moving the jumpers is going to do squat. :(
 
Things are looking better :)

I moved all the jumnpers down.

I still can't sue my 7950GX2 in the top slot.

However, I do have a Multi-GPU option in the control panel now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMFG !!

I'm testing it now to see if it made any performance difference !!
 
LordBritish said:
Things are looking better :)

I moved all the jumnpers down.

I still can't sue my 7950GX2 in the top slot.

However, I do have a Multi-GPU option in the control panel now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMFG !!

I'm testing it now to see if it made any performance difference !!
See, I'm good eh?
 
fireluxx said:
Yeah, good at trying to get credit for my input.
:rolleyes:

Glad to see it's working for you LB :)
Don't be a goof man, just because you read the instruction manual and seen it's called for this particular board "DXG" jumpers, doesn't make you a superior being.

And you even said it automatically switches without the jumpers, so how did you help? According to you he would still be under 4000 3D Marks...
 
Oh go troll somewhere else. I'm done with this thread now that it's resolved. At least I tried where you just assumed it would help. I think that attitude is best left on DFI Street where it belongs.
 
fireluxx said:
Oh go troll somewhere else. I'm done with this thread. At least I tried where you just assumed it would help.
You told him it automatically switches the PCI-E lanes. Also trying to discredit me is very rude.
 
hmmm, the problem is fixed, everyone should be happy, though DXG is just a cover for SLI since DFI probably got in shit from nVidia for the stunt they pulled with the Ultra-D if u do have 2 cards both automatically work, but to set SLI u need the jumpers ^^ ibelieve the first few batches of Ultra-Ds worked in SLI without modding?
 
Digital Viper-X- said:
ibelieve the first few batches of Ultra-Ds worked in SLI without modding?
They were just easier to mod.

The newer Ultra-Ds have epoxy covering the contacts that you need to link for SLi.
 
I'm guessing folks that with the Ultra-D, the top PCI-e slot will not work with ONE 7950GX2. You have to move those jumpers and use the bottom PCI-e slot.

However, if I get a second 7950GX2, only the bottom one would be used for output - that's just a guess here. I thought I read something about that somewhere.
 
You would also NEED to mod it to SLi, if you got a second and wanted more gaming performance.
 
Did some overclocking on my 7950GX2 and I'm now over 8300 3DMark06 points :D

I won't be needing another 7950GX2 for a while - hell, DX10 cards will be out by the time I need much more power.
 
Back
Top