Only get 65Mbps from WNR37AV

Ravynmagi

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm sure this is bound to be a dumb question (have a feeling I'm being fooled by some lame marketing...)

My router advertises speeds up to 300Mbps.I can sit my laptop next to this router, but I only get 65Mbps.

How is the 300Mbps speeds achieved from 802.11n?

what are you transfering?

300Mbps is the theoretical limit, you will never get that speed. do you what wpa on? that also add overhead to the packets.

That might be right, but you should use something like iperf or some kind of bandwidth tester to determine your actual rate.

I was just looking at the connection status of my wireless adapter.

I tried a program called Netcps to measure my bandwidth (uses a 100MB file by default to test with). And I am only get 22Mbps in that test. So slower than I expected.

What wireless card do you have in your laptop? Each stream in 802.11n can go up to 150Mbps, and each stream requires its own antenna. If your laptop only has 1 antenna, it won't be able to go over 150Mbps. Getting the full 150Mbps out of each antenna also requires a 40MHz channel. A single stream with 20MHz channel maxes out at 65Mbps under a couple different scenarios, which I'm guessing is what's happening in your case. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11n#Data_rates

Back