Only 20 PS3’s Per Retail Store at Launch?

I agree about sympathizing with the retail employees. Can you imagine trying to explain HDMI to Grandma number 24958?

Yeah that would be a real pain. Especially when Grandma number 24958 looks at you like your a buffoon because she doesn't understand what you are talking about. bleh

So this is how its going to go

Customer: Hi I'd like a PS3 please...

Game Store Clerk (GSC): Sorry, we're all out of those...

Customer: Oh damn....timmy really wanted one...

GSC: Well, we do have the XBox 360 which is MUCH better than the crappy PS3 anyway and LOADS CHEAPER...

Customer: Oh OK, I'll take one of those then...

I'm not hating on the PS3, I have no real bias to be honest. But if the PS3 is found to be in such short supply a lot of would be customers might not bother waiting and jump to the MS console.

I'm not talking about the sort of people that read [H] and build their own rigs. I'm talking about the general public.

Syphon Filter said:
I'm not hating on the PS3, I have no real bias to be honest. But if the PS3 is found to be in such short supply a lot of would be customers might not bother waiting and jump to the MS console.
Well we don't have to wait till November for that. By Christmas, Microsoft expects to have moved 10,000,000 Xbox 360's. Sony had better kick some ass real soon or they're going to be in serious trouble.

Syphon Filter said:

I'm not talking about the sort of people that read [H] and build their own rigs. I'm talking about the general public.

That is probably true of the early adopters, but generally speaking the early adopters aren't the general public, but mostly hardcore !!!!!!s. Who will do anything to get their console of choice.

Heh... I hope grandma approves :p

OT: This can't be good for sony. Granted it might not be bad but it can't be good.

I think the size of the retailer will have a lot to do with how many they get. You can't expect your average mall store to get as many PS3s as a Wal-Mart or a Costco, or even a Circuit City or Best Buy for that matter. Market area might have something to do with it too, your major east and west coast metro areas are going to get more than Podunk, WY.

As for dealing with customer concerns, it's not that hard if you have any decent experience in sales, it goes like this (provided the store has both types of units in stock):

Try to get a quick read for who the person is buying one for, if they look the least bit tech saavy, ask a few technical questions (do you have a HDTV (instant push for the HDMI model), do you have a PSP/wireless internet (again, the 60gb model for the built in wifi), do you plan on using this just to play games or are movies and downloading videos, music and games going to be important too (again, going 60gb vs. 20)). If it's an old grandma buying for a young kid, you grab the cheaper one, and don't even bring up that differences exist.

You never throw around terms like HDMI on the sales floor, especially in the holiday season, to a customer unless they give you some inclination that they know what they mean. Rather you explain what one system can do that the other can't (this can give you a better picture on new TVs if you get a high def model, or this one will allow you to connect to the internet without having to run any wires). Giving too much information to people who don't have the background nor the desire to understand it is the number 1 reason for confusion.

Microsoft has already revised the number of 360's they expect to sell by November from 10 million to 6 million.

Of course a mall kiosk isn't going to get as many as a Best Buy or Circuit City, but if someone goes into a store to get a PS3 and its sold out, they aren't going to walk out with a 360 or a Wii if it happens to be there. They'll just wait until more are available.

Lord Nassirbannipal said:
Microsoft has already revised the number of 360's they expect to sell by November from 10 million to 6 million.

You have a link for that? The only reference I can find to 6 million is from the same conference where they said they were aiming for 10 million sold by November. (6 million being the number of xbox live users next year).

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/may06/05-09E32006BriefingPR.mspx

Oh, and you'd be surprised how many people might pick up a Nintendo or 360 at xmas when the PS3 isn't available. I've worked in retail at xmas and most parents think it's better to pickup something comparable (if only temporarily) than give their kid nothing xmas day.

Of course a mall kiosk isn't going to get as many as a Best Buy or Circuit City, but if someone goes into a store to get a PS3 and its sold out, they aren't going to walk out with a 360 or a Wii if it happens to be there. They'll just wait until more are available.
depends.

If both predictions are true, that it will be both hard to find and cost $600 dollars, what will it be worth on eBay?

Langford said:
If both predictions are true, that it will be both hard to find and cost $600 dollars, what will it be worth on eBay?

100 BILLION DOLLARS /Dr evil voice

Langford said:

And what will the box be worth on eBay? :p

I am actually happy Sony is doing something about this. For once it is some 'positive' planning.

I've also heard that EBgames had stopped taking pre-orders for consoles untill they knew EXACTLY what was going on.. and if this is a concrete number, at least customer will not be shafted for 3 months waiting for their pre-ordered console. They will know if they get it or not in the first place.

This can also work against them.. "PS3 is sold out" followed by "Got any Wiis left?"
Or it could be the OTHER way around?!??!

Apparently Nintendo is trying to release the Wii 2 weeks+ earlier, not that it will make a huge difference.. I mean, if your planning to pay the $599 price, your going to get it no matter what.

That is more than the number of PS2's we got launch day......but then again UPS stole 6 of them :eek:

Baredor said:
I agree about sympathizing with the retail employees. Can you imagine trying to explain HDMI to Grandma number 24958?

You probably wont get as far as HDMI, try to get her to correctly pronounce Playstation first. And forget about Wii, she will think you are swearing at her and will whack you with her umbrella.

Psychotext said:
You have a link for that? The only reference I can find to 6 million is from the same conference where they said they were aiming for 10 million sold by November. (6 million being the number of xbox live users next year).

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/may06/05-09E32006BriefingPR.mspx

Oh, and you'd be surprised how many people might pick up a Nintendo or 360 at xmas when the PS3 isn't available. I've worked in retail at xmas and most parents think it's better to pickup something comparable (if only temporarily) than give their kid nothing xmas day.

Bill Gates stated that by the time the Wii and PlayStation 3 ship, nearly 10 million Xbox 360 units should be sold. This was stated at E3 during their press conference.[3] This estimate has since been significantly decreased to 6 million consoles one year after launch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360

I read it somewhere else as well, but I can't seem to locate the link right now.

But let's look at this realistically. It's only sold just over 3 million units, and November is a mere 5 months away. No way it's going to get to 10 million by then, especially when you consider that it's being outsold by the PS2, and still can't sell in Japan.

I've worked in retail at Christmas as well, and I certainly don't remember that parents were buying their kids Dreamcasts when they couldn't find a PS2. They just waited until we had more available. It's not like if they go to the store for a PS3 and it's not there they'll never be able to find it again. It's just a shortage. If the PS3 is what they want, then they'll wait.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360

I read it somewhere else as well, but I can't seem to locate the link right now.

But let's look at this realistically. It's only sold just over 3 million units, and November is a mere 5 months away. No way it's going to get to 10 million by then, especially when you consider that it's being outsold by the PS2, and still can't sell in Japan.

I've worked in retail at Christmas as well, and I certainly don't remember that parents were buying their kids Dreamcasts when they couldn't find a PS2. They just waited until we had more available. It's not like if they go to the store for a PS3 and it's not there they'll never be able to find it again. It's just a shortage. If the PS3 is what they want, then they'll wait.

Opinion ++

Those determined to get a PS3 will of course wait.

But those who have just decided to bag a console for their kids without knowing the ins and outs might not worry too much...its just conjecture...i'm not stating it as fact.

There was a story posted here a while ago where sales rep suggested a PSP to a customer when she wnated a 360 during the shortage saying "its the same as a 360 but portable, you son would much prefer one of those" or something along those lines. It happens and people get duped.

andypnb said:
You probably wont get as far as HDMI, try to get her to correctly pronounce Playstation first. And forget about Wii, she will think you are swearing at her and will whack you with her umbrella.
Or her purse:p

I *really* doubt you'll see 20 at most locations. You might see 12.
All signs still point to Sony having production problems. Unless I were going to sell it on ebay, I wouldnt touch one with a stick.

Tutelary said:
I *really* doubt you'll see 20 at most locations. You might see 12.
All signs still point to Sony having production problems. Unless I were going to sell it on ebay, I wouldnt touch one with a stick.
What signs? It was only 4-5 weeks ago they announced their production plans, something happen between now and then?

Bad_Boy said:
What signs? It was only 4-5 weeks ago they announced their production plans, something happen between now and then?

...them delaying their Blu-Ray player is a big sign. That means they're scrambling to get drives from other sources because their facilities can't meet the quotas they're wanting.

But let's look at this realistically. It's only sold just over 3 million units, and November is a mere 5 months away. No way it's going to get to 10 million by then

Microsoft has revised that to 6 million.

I've worked in retail at Christmas as well, and I certainly don't remember that parents were buying their kids Dreamcasts when they couldn't find a PS2.

...wow. I can't believe you just related the Dreamcast/PS2 to the X360/PS3. The Dreamcast appealed to a completely different demographic.

You seem to know very little about business psychology. Most people aren't going to be happy with spending $600. If they finally talk themselves into spending the $600 and still can't get one, there is a good possibility that they'll go to someone else.

K600 said:
...wow. I can't believe you just related the Dreamcast/PS2 to the X360/PS3. The Dreamcast appealed to a completely different demographic.

You seem to know very little about business psychology. Most people aren't going to be happy with spending $600. If they finally talk themselves into spending the $600 and still can't get one, there is a good possibility that they'll go to someone else.
agreed. i ran the video game dept at Toys R Us for 4 years, and i oftentimes would sell a XBox to someone who originally wanted a PS2 or vice-versa, depending on what we had in stock. obviously, it depends on the circumstances and the customer, but it happens everyday.

K600 said:
Microsoft has revised that to 6 million.

Damnit, people keep saying it, will someone please provide me with a link?!? If they said this, it will be on a finance site somewhere for sure because that's a pretty hefty revision.

Anyone?!? I can't find it anywhere, and boy have I searched. The best I've seen is on wikipedia with absolutely no references to back it up.

Bad_Boy said:

the increased size of the unit is a huge sign. people are also indicating an external psu. a combination of both means the thing is generating more heat than the sun inside, and I lean toward believing it.

Okay, so Bill Gates didn't say that, but you are claiming that he revised the numbers. You post a link from a 3rd party website that has no association with Microsoft as well.

As for old granny, I somehow doubt that old granny will be waiting for 12 hours in line for a PS3.

Psychotext said:
Damnit, people keep saying it, will someone please provide me with a link?!? If they said this, it will be on a finance site somewhere for sure because that's a pretty hefty revision.

Anyone?!? I can't find it anywhere, and boy have I searched. The best I've seen is on wikipedia with absolutely no references to back it up.
I also find it hard to believe MS revised their goal of 10 million units sold the by end of the year. The only 6 million number I have heard is how many XBL users MS hopes to have by next E3.

I call BS on the revised 6 million sold rumor. MS was at 3.2 million duing the month of March (3 months ago). MS is still on track for 5-5.5 million by end of Fiscal Year (June) and 10 million by the end of 2006.

Back