• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Only $180 difference between i7 & i5 correct?

Wow, I haven't checked part prices in forever, and this thread caught my eye because I was wondering about upgrading a few days ago. We're back to $200 for a CPU, $100 for memory, and $150 for motherboards? I got spoiled fast. Guess I'm sticking with my E6600 for a while longer yet. :eek:
 
Wow, I haven't checked part prices in forever, and this thread caught my eye because I was wondering about upgrading a few days ago. We're back to $200 for a CPU, $100 for memory, and $150 for motherboards? I got spoiled fast. Guess I'm sticking with my E6600 for a while longer yet. :eek:
$200 CPU for the fastest CPU you can buy short of the $600 ones, more than double. You also have to remember, it's 4GB or 6GB of memory for that $100, nothing to sneeze at. And people might be pricing faster RAM than i5 requires. They just want to overclock.

When more i5 CPUs and 1156 mobos are out, prices will lower. There are already some $100 1156 boards.

$160 i5 750 from MicroCenter
$100 1156 mobo
$80 RAM
I'd say pretty nice.


When I got my E6570 2.5 years ago or so, it had hit a low of $210, which caused me to buy. P35-D3SR was $130 or so, RAM was ~$100 for 2x1GB. Except, that wasn't the fastest CPU available. The $200 920 or $230 860 (MicroCenter prices) are the top of the line, except for the 2 or 3 ridiculous $600 parts that aren't 2-3x faster (like the price). Incredible value.
 
$200 CPU for the fastest CPU you can buy short of the $600 ones, more than double. You also have to remember, it's 4GB or 6GB of memory for that $100, nothing to sneeze at. And people might be pricing faster RAM than i5 requires. They just want to overclock.

When more i5 CPUs and 1156 mobos are out, prices will lower. There are already some $100 1156 boards.

$160 i5 750 from MicroCenter
$100 1156 mobo
$80 RAM
I'd say pretty nice.


When I got my E6570 2.5 years ago or so, it had hit a low of $210, which caused me to buy. P35-D3SR was $130 or so, RAM was ~$100 for 2x1GB. Except, that wasn't the fastest CPU available. The $200 920 or $230 860 (MicroCenter prices) are the top of the line, except for the 2 or 3 ridiculous $600 parts that aren't 2-3x faster (like the price). Incredible value.

Exactly. And think about this: I bought a Phenom II 550 BE for $105 in July. Fast forward to September, I bought an i5 that is nearly 2.5 times faster for only $100 more. That's just insane. I just wish I waited and didnt purchase the PII right away.

On the bright side, all I need is memory, hard drive(s) and a case and I have myself a pretty decent HTPC.
 
Tried pricing out a core i7 920 vs a core i5 750 (mb, cpu, and ram only). I used Microcenter CPU prices, along with the least expensive Gigabyte UD3R mobo for both platforms, and the cheapeast ddr3 1600 memory I could find (6gb vs 4gb).

A i5 750 upgrade for me ends up being over $120 cheaper with no rebates. That's a pretty significant saving of over 25%. Bear in mind that either upgrade will probably last me through many many years as I don't foresee ever having a need beyond a quad core. So it comes down to the +25% savings, no need for triple channel, and no plans to ever utilize dual vid cards.

I know I could have just dropped in a Q9550, but I have some old parts I can sell off to help fund this upgrade.
 
Back
Top