Only 1 computer out of 3 without internet access

vage

2[H]4U
Ok so I was working on my girlfriends brothers laptop because he said he had some problems with it. It turns out that he could connect to the wireless network at his house, but that even though he was conneced, he could not get internet access. I took the computer to my house, completely wiped it (because he had a lot of other problems with it too) and could get on my wireless network fine with access to the internet. I brought the computer back to his house, and again, he can connect to the wireless network, but he can't access the internet. What is really odd is that there are two other laptops there that can access the internet wirelessly. I have already tried a lot of the basic stuff like router and wireless settings. I think there has to be some sort of odd reason this is happening. Has anyone had a problem like this before with a laptop?

Did you check to make sure the IP protocol is set to obtain ip address automatically? Setting it manually can fool you into thinking it's connected to the network but on the wrong subnet.

As necess implied, let's start with the basics?

Do you get an IP address?
(assuming this is a windows box)
Go to Start > Run
Type CMD in the box and click OK
Type IPCONFIG in the command window and press the Enter key

What are the results?

funny, i was coming to post the same problem...i had a network set up at my apartment, then moved into the in-laws, and had trouble connecting to their existing router...i used mine, and got two pcs, and a wii online, but my laptop will NOT connect to internet.

1. i have an ip. ( and subnet, and default gateway)
2. i CAN ping the router and the other pcs.
3. my wireless connection is connected with excellent signal.

any help is appreciated, sorry to thread jack, but why start a new one for the same troubles?

funny, i was coming to post the same problem...i had a network set up at my apartment, then moved into the in-laws, and had trouble connecting to their existing router...i used mine, and got two pcs, and a wii online, but my laptop will NOT connect to internet.

1. i have an ip. ( and subnet, and default gateway)
2. i CAN ping the router and the other pcs.
3. my wireless connection is connected with excellent signal.

any help is appreciated, sorry to thread jack, but why start a new one for the same troubles?

Do you have any firewall applications running?

okay, so apparently someone bumped my zonealarm up to highest security, which i suppose is the reason i couldn't reach the "internet zone". i adjusted it back to medium, and it connected right away.

weird, i had looked at zonealarm and had also made sure windows firewall was off before ever posting here about it. i duno, works now, hope the o.p. can get his working too.

Run ipconfig /all on all of the systems and check for a duplicate physical (MAC) address. This is very rare but seems to be happening more and more often these days.

Like I said, I've tried all the basic things like making sure I am getting an IP address. I can access the internet fine wireless from any other location, but at his house (even if I plug directly into the router) his is the only one that cannot get to the internet.

I will see if there are duplicate MAC addresses, that does seem rare but I can't think of anything else at this point.

well i ust thought of something, it can't be the MAC addresses because there would be a different one for the wired NIC and the wireless NIC, but he has the same problem no matter what happens.

The fact that it works fine at your house and not his indicates the problem is external to the computer. Describe the rest of the topology at his house. Also do ipconfig /all and post the results here. Then do a route print and post that. And, just for giggles, post the output from arp -a.

Ok so here is the toplogy and a few more facts. He has Time Warner Cable internet coming in. It is connected to a Linksys WRT54GC router. The router has no security on it at the moment (just to simplify the process). There are 3 total computers at the house, all access the router wirelessly. There is 2 HPs and 1 Thinkpad. None of them have the same MAC address or IP address. When doing an IP config, everyone has the same configuration settings. I cleared out all of the ARP tables and that did nothing at all.

Now here is something interesting. From his laptop (it is an HP Pavilion DV4000) I can ping the router, and the other HP laptop. I cannot ping the Thinkpad however. Likewise, from the Thinkpad, I can ping the HP that isn't his, and the router, as well as access the itnernet just fine. I cannot ping his laptop however.

Once again I just brought his laptop over to a seperate wireless network and it works perfect, it has something to do with this network specifically. I am really at my whitts end with this, I have no idea why this could be happening.

Are the other computers connected to the router along with the laptop you're working on? Have you tried to have only the laptop connected to the router and nothing else.

Ok everyone, I figure it out. This was really odd. A long time ago, he had asked me to help him with his torrent program. I forwarded a port for him so that he would be able to get better speeds. For some really odd reason, the port got changed from just the one that I had forwarded, to ports 0 - 48623 (or similar I forget the actual number). But basically I just got rid of that one problem in the router and everything is running beautifully now. Really odd how it changed like that though.

was it a linksys BEFSR model?

that has happened to me before... the port forwarding table gets jacked and hoses all external connections to that address...

just figured it was a fluke at the time... but it didn't take that long to figure out, because i had just messed with the port forwarding....

Back