OnLive Is Now… Live

Do we even know? No we don't, some devs like Epic have claimed this as a strong point against the PC platform, however the audience for the consoles is inherently larger for big budget game titles so we'd expect a lot of developers moving to consoles naturally to earn more money. Piracy is really more of an excuse to leave the platform, the additional revenue from console sales completely overshadows even the most exeggerated claims of lost revenue to piracy.

I suspect it's largely bullshit. I don't doubt that some publishers believed it to be the case, but that doesn't make it real. I think publishers are noticing that the PC is highly profitable.

Look at EA, they were starting to shy away from the PC. You had things like Mass Effect that was a year late to the PC, then Bad Company the first Battlefield game only for consoles. they seemed to by shying away from PC games.

However now that's all changed around. ME2 and Dragon Age were simultaneous PC/Console releases (and PC is the lead platform for Dragon Age). Bad Company 2 was released on the PC and has some PC exclusive enhancements and so on. Battlefield 3 has so far been announced only on the PC.

While consoles are a highly profitable market, it seems PCs are too. PCs still do more revenue in games than any single console. There are a lot of PC gamers that buy a lot of games. I look at my roommate, who's a fairly typical console gamer, and he has about 6 games for his PS3. Me? Well I've got 51 games in Steam, 43 in Impulse and who knows how many physical in my closet. To be sure, some of those are budget/indy/old games (Xcom on Impulse FTW) but with an attach rate like that, it is a market publishers are interested in.

While piracy is a problem, I don't think it is as big as many make it out to be since many of the pirated games would not be purchased, could they not be pirated. While I'm sure there are some lost sales, there are plenty where people are just "window shopping" so to speak, or cases where they download games they aren't that interested in because they can, or where they have the money to buy a game, but not the 50 they download.

Near as I can tell, the PC is still a very worthwhile platform, as people still keep developing for it. High dollar titles come out for it, many that are multi-platform, some that are PC only. You really think they'd keep doing that if they were losing money?

I suspect it's largely bullshit. I don't doubt that some publishers believed it to be the case, but that doesn't make it real. I think publishers are noticing that the PC is highly profitable.

Look at EA, they were starting to shy away from the PC. You had things like Mass Effect that was a year late to the PC, then Bad Company the first Battlefield game only for consoles. they seemed to by shying away from PC games.

However now that's all changed around. ME2 and Dragon Age were simultaneous PC/Console releases (and PC is the lead platform for Dragon Age). Bad Company 2 was released on the PC and has some PC exclusive enhancements and so on. Battlefield 3 has so far been announced only on the PC.

While consoles are a highly profitable market, it seems PCs are too. PCs still do more revenue in games than any single console. There are a lot of PC gamers that buy a lot of games. I look at my roommate, who's a fairly typical console gamer, and he has about 6 games for his PS3. Me? Well I've got 51 games in Steam, 43 in Impulse and who knows how many physical in my closet. To be sure, some of those are budget/indy/old games (Xcom on Impulse FTW) but with an attach rate like that, it is a market publishers are interested in.

While piracy is a problem, I don't think it is as big as many make it out to be since many of the pirated games would not be purchased, could they not be pirated. While I'm sure there are some lost sales, there are plenty where people are just "window shopping" so to speak, or cases where they download games they aren't that interested in because they can, or where they have the money to buy a game, but not the 50 they download.

Near as I can tell, the PC is still a very worthwhile platform, as people still keep developing for it. High dollar titles come out for it, many that are multi-platform, some that are PC only. You really think they'd keep doing that if they were losing money?

EA had nothing to do with Mass Effect being late. That was all Microsoft and Bioware. EA didn't buy Bioware until almost a year after ME released then they had to buy the publishing rights from MS so it could be ported.

I had my account activated and tried it over the weekend. They emailed me a coupon for "1 free game" good for 30 days from today. Well, I logged in, and the first issue I noticed was my password manager which stores my 64 alphanumeric password for OnLive wouldn't copy and paste into the password field within the OnLive program, launched from my desktop. I had to log in from their site. FAIL

Then, when I went to input the coupon code for a game, they told me it was an invalid code
FAIL.

Lastly, I tried to load the Batman Arkham Asylum demo, and the mouse lag was just unacceptable. I didn't even bother to enter the game. EPIC FAIL
:rolleyes:

If they can get this working on the ipad like the movie I saw, this might be a worth getting.

Back