Online Relationships Don't Last

HardOCP News

[H] News
You guys are not going to believe this but a new study says that matches made over the internet do not last. Apparently people end up choosing unsuitable partners and forming emotional bonds before meeting in real life and then it goes downhill quickly after they meet. Ya think?

Women were especially susceptible to finding Mr. Wrong, as they tend to be attracted by witty comments or clever emails, said psychologist Matthew Bambling from the Queensland University of Technology. "You can never assume things are the way they seem online," Bambling told Reuters

Atech hit the nail on the head, don't see any real point in getting married. Neither of us are religious, and having the "state" putting their two cents on a marraige license is like asking your dodgy uncle to manage yer finances, right after he got out of jail for securites fraud ;) .

Point proven, if your willing to undertake in permanent actions (sexual) and cant bothered to get married (which means you get to keep a nice little comfort zone of non-commitment [basically can leave whenever you see fit]), so therefore, your assuring it wont last.

My best friend met his Fiance' on myspace, though they aren't exactly a match made in heaven.... He frequently calls her a lazy rotund hippo.

My other best friend met his girlfriend on there but claims he isnt dating her... just good friends that live together and do it a lot. Says she is too fat for him.

I think I see a trend here ;) Anywho, luck of the draw. Normal relationships don't last either. People rarely pick people they are compatible with. What % of relationships DONT fail? how could online ones have statistics any worse?
The only reason I am married is because I wasnt dating, didnt even care too but I met a girl I got along with really well and next thing you know we are best friends. I am a psych grad so I made her take an MBTI, go figure we are both INTJs, which is why we get along so well.

north america = relationship killer, lack of culture, lack of tradition, lack of morals, and even lack self respect

Met my wife online in 1996. She moved to be with me in 2001. Married last year. Couldn't be happier in twelve years of being together.

Best friend met his wife online, married two years now. Another friend met his online, married for one year now.

They do work sometimes. :)

Relationships are like high-end 3D cards...

great in the beginning...
will last anywhere from a week to a few years..
sometimes it fails to work and new drivers must be installed (dunno how this one relates)
cost a fortune..

You guys are not going to believe this but a new study says that matches made over the internet do not last. Apparently people end up choosing unsuitable partners and forming emotional bonds before meeting in real life and then it goes downhill quickly after they meet. Ya think?

Good topic. I just ended a relationship with a girl I meet at an online site. We talked for a week on the phone met in person stayed with her for 4 days and now we don't talk LOL

I give up dating online...

Awwwww poor psychologist Matthew Bambling, met a girl online then it didnt work. So he decides to get revenge and get self gratification by wasting money on pointless research. Boo hoo. They do work out, these studies are so lame. uh we are in the middle of a war and our economy is shit, lets worry about online dating yeah thats productive :)

I call BS.

I met a few girlfriends online. and sure we broke up after 6-8 months but are you going ot tell me that everyone you meet normally is the basis for a healthy relationship?

It's just trial and error until you find the right person

I've also made some very good longtime friends online.

north america = relationship killer, lack of culture, lack of tradition, lack of morals, and even lack self respect

without a doubt one of the stupiest posts I have ever read on any forum about anything :rolleyes:

I'm the very last single guy (never married, no relationship since 2002) from my gang of high school friends and my siblings, all of whom are married with kids. I tried online dating and it turned out the same as the more traditional methods. Some women were great, some were awful, all situations ended eventually. I'm very content in eternal bachelorhood. I can do what I want, when I want, where I want, spend as much $$ I want, etc. Yes, I'm one selfish bastard. But, at least I'm a happy selfish bastard!!

Holy crap. Im going on a first date tonight with a girl i met online. Thanks thanks a lot for that news post. :eek:

No, allenpan is somewhat correct. If you've never lived anywhere else or have partaken in other cultures, you'll soon find out that "Americans" are rarely any of those things that allenpan mentioned compared to other cultures. I'm not (Indian), but I know of some Indian families label their kids American Deisi because they've given up on their culture and values and have adopted America's careless nature. If you talk to "Proud Americans" can you get an answer if you ask "why are you proud of your country?" And enough said if I say "Girls Gone Wild" and "MTV Spring Break"

These is just my $.02 -- Don't get me wrong, I Love America, but I would really like to see some positive mass changes happen.

without a doubt one of the stupiest posts I have ever read on any forum about anything :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by allenpan

Online initiated long distance based relationship from 1998-1999. That went horribly, and cost me thousands in phone bills.

Online initiated long distance based relationship started 2003. Engaged in 2005. Married in 2007. Monday marks our first anniversary. And, in response to the hippo comments, she's lost 50 lbs. since we met.

We had good luck; I personally feel that relationships that start online end up building a better foundation for a lasting relationship than one that is simply initiated by "damn he/she looks hot". I've no qualms in saying that when I first met my wife that she was significantly bigger than the pictures led one to believe, and I didn't think we'd last past that date. But, sitting in the movie theater, she rested her head against the seat and looked at me, and I knew from that look on that we'd end up staying together. It's the same look I see every morning when I wake up next to her, unless her mouth is agape, snorting, and she's drooling, that is.

No, allenpan is somewhat correct. If you've never lived anywhere else or have partaken in other cultures, you'll soon find out that "Americans" are rarely any of those things that allenpan mentioned compared to other cultures. I'm not (Indian), but I know of some Indian families label their kids American Deisi because they've given up on their culture and values and have adopted America's careless nature. If you talk to "Proud Americans" can you get an answer if you ask "why are you proud of your country?" And enough said if I say "Girls Gone Wild" and "MTV Spring Break"

These is just my $.02 -- Don't get me wrong, I Love America, but I would really like to see some positive mass changes happen.

Originally Posted by allenpan

Having done both I can tell you this: You are looking through rose colored glasses and fooling yourself in an effort to sound worldly.

And enough said I say "Subjugating women", "female circumcision", "patriarchy", "caste system", "untouchables", and "gang raping infidels".

Met my fiance (she's Oceanstorm on here) on MySpace. We're getting married in November. On top of that, she has several friends that met online and are now married... Ummm... Four, I think.

Women were especially susceptible ... as they tend to be attracted by witty comments or clever emails.

Ah, crap, guess I have to go back to Photoshopped pictures again.

Met my fiance (she's Oceanstorm on here) on MySpace. We're getting married in November. On top of that, she has several friends that met online and are now married... Ummm... Four, I think.

Oh, we met almost three years ago.

well, i am canadia...mroe of taiwanese canadian, i been around the world, and so far, i dislike north american culture...if they have any, anyway, i went to poland for a month on business, i love their culture and their tradition, it is like white people with traditional value (most old european has that), i met my future wife in canada, she is hardcore polish, i love it,....i did been in and out of few, from french canadian to half-polish canadian, to my taste, they are no good, usually lack of traditional family value and value in general, trust me, go travel a bit and u will see that North america is really a Love killer

even my polish happiness agrees (she has been in canada for 16 years, as i am in canada for 12 years

crap i can't edit, i mean canadian-half-polish, she has half polish blood but purely canadian

Having done both I can tell you this: You are looking through rose colored glasses and fooling yourself in an effort to sound worldly.

And enough said I say "Subjugating women", "female circumcision", "patriarchy", "caste system", "untouchables", and "gang raping infidels".

Honor killings too....

Yeah, gee too bad we don't stone women to death because they talk to people of other religions/ethnicities...

And if you don't like Girls Gone Wild then don't watch that shit. When the infomercial on Spike TV comes on get your ass off the couch and change the channel.

Met my girlfriend online 6 years ago but didn't decide to try to date until 2 years ago. We decided to meet in person before we committed to anything and we had a wonderful week long vacation through the Rocky Mountains.

beside, i dont like the whole divorce idea, what happen to death do us apart, has problem? solve it together, learn to endure and to learn how to sacrfice, and pick ur battle, if small scrafice can make others happy why not? in north america marriage is a joke, is like eating cheerios every morning, bakc in the old day divorce is not an option,...north ameria only has a defect left over culture+worst hollywood culture, keep ur own dignity and stop going around like a piece of meat, regardless a guy or gal..

now the new french gorvment has issue that divorce is so easy, and it can be done in matter of minute, that is wrong, very wrong, and every place want to be americanize which is even more wrong, even a most beautiful apple can have a rotten core. aka north amerian

allenpan, why do you think that moral values=ethnicity?

I learned my moral values through 4 wasted years getting a degree in Philosophy not from my white-mixed-but-mostly-Portuguese "heritage".

I think you may have a problem with ethnicity...

Point proven, if your willing to undertake in permanent actions (sexual) and cant bothered to get married (which means you get to keep a nice little comfort zone of non-commitment [basically can leave whenever you see fit]), so therefore, your assuring it wont last.

Or maybe neither person sees any point in spending money on some useless ritual based on idiotic superstitions? Marriage is useless, it doesn't mean anything.

i dont think so, i know my culture, which is taiwanese/japanese, i was born in taiwan and raised there until family moved to canada, the fundmental value such as respects are greatly missing, best example is where are the respect for parents? teachers? others? or even themselvies? where is humbleness ? preservarance or enduarance? also selfish indivitalism, last misunderstanding of other culture or stereo typing, those are just same problem with NA culture...

well, i am canadia...mroe of taiwanese canadian, i been around the world, and so far, i dislike north american culture...if they have any

Then move. Seriously don't let us stop you.

Now in case you missed the difference of North America let me point out to you the obvious facts which you have some how missed. We aren't from here! Ta-da! immigrants the lot of us....so you know what we brought all those pieces that made us individuals and it became one. So if you hate it so much chances are you are hating on something in yourself as well because we have lots of Chinese (sorry you are Chinese even if Formosa has self rule right now) here.

, anyway, i went to poland for a month on business, i love their culture and their tradition, it is like white people with traditional value (most old european has that), i met my future wife in canada, she is hardcore polish, i love it,....i did been in and out of few, from french canadian to half-polish canadian, to my taste, they are no good, usually lack of traditional family value and value in general, trust me, go travel a bit and u will see that North america is really a Love killer

Yeah like I said been there done that. I am all for "Subjugating women", "female circumcision", "patriarchy", "caste system", "untouchables", and "gang raping infidels" but for some reason if we stratify our society into groups that can't intermingle then force kids to marry at 12 after we cut off the woman's genitals and bind her feet then beat her as she lives with her husband by his dictate to produce children (male mind you because females can't take care of the family so we are going to go ahead abort those) and discourage her from going to school and god forbid she takes objection so we kill her or if she is outside the system gang rape her we would certainly be a "Love killer".

I think I will take a pass on the adopting of those classic ethnic points and tolerate a little MTV.

Of course women choose the wrong man that is nothing new. I'm always amazed with their ability to fall for the worst scum bags they can find.

My wife and I met online, and we just celebrated our 6th anniversary, and our first child. I could not be happier. Just like regular dating, not every date is a match (or even close).

Times have changed all over the globe. You can pretty much forget traditional values these days. The entire planet is being "marxized" through massive globalization and consumerism. I just never thought it would be my beloved USA that would be doing the dirty work. Oh well, enjoy your short lives while you can.................

Or maybe neither person sees any point in spending money on some useless ritual based on idiotic superstitions? Marriage is useless, it doesn't mean anything.

b/c to north american marriage come to easily and they dont want to work with it and instead of working on it, they choice the easily way out that is divorce, with that nothing is learn or undertand

Back