• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

online purchase or local

brian770

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 5, 2006
Messages
317
i am getting ready to buy a 27" monitor, in the past i have always bought locally cause i dread the thought of getting a bunch of dead pixels and having to go through the hassle of a RMA. i have found some smoking deals online, but am still leary of going that rout. i am getting the rest of my system online. are monitors something that should be treated any differently? looking for your experiences with buying monitors online.
 
I've purchased 9 monitors in the last 5 years (3 for myself, 6 for family) all different brands too. 6 purchased from newegg, 1 from tigerdirect, 1 from monoprice, none with dead pixels. Got some dead pixels from a purchase from woot.com on a super cheap 24" a couple years ago, I can see why it was so cheap. Most companies have a decent dead pixel policy, and depending on where the pixel is dead counts as more/less. Personally I feel this risk is well worth it.
 
It is usually worth the risk. I've had more local monitors with dead pixels honestly but I'm sure it's just coincidence. If you want the best pixel policies go with Dell.
 
I guess it depends on the monitor you're buying. I've always bought ViewSonic which have a very good bad pixel policy. I've bought all 6 of them online and have never had a bad pixel.

If you're buying something more risky maybe you want to go local, but now days bad pixels are fairly rare.
 
This is one reason I use Amazon. They are really nice and to get it replaced is so easy.
 
If you can buy local then by all means BUY LOCAL, micro center will price match, you can also test the monitor for dead pixels before leaving the store. Frys probably has a wide selection of monitors as well, if you are near a store I recommend buying from one as you will avoide the RMA dead pixel game.
Truth is online venues will ship out defective panels as some will accept defeat and keep them.
Especially if you are buying a large expensive panel, its worth buying locally if you can.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I gotta say for convenience local always trumps online, if you hvae to return/exchange it then its much easier to take it back to a store then it is to mess with shipping it back and fighting to get them to pay for shipping, always buy in store whenever possible.

As for price, to be quite honest after shipping I find its almost always cheaper to buy in store then online, very rarely is it cheaper to buy something online.

Edit: Oops just noticed this was an old thread, congrats on the new monitor though!
 
Back
Top