Online Gambling May Become Legal in US Again

Haha, online poker was never made illegal? Ehrm, please explain to me why I have to go through countless loopholes just to withdraw a couple hundred dollars from my Full Tilt Poker account. Just so you are aware, poker falls under the type of online gambling that was considered 'unlawful' according to the UIGEA. So yes, online poker was severely affected by the bill.

That is because the law went after banks and other operations with in the U.S they could control and bully (Paypal, neteller, western union, banks)

Trust me, poker it's self was not illegal, where as sports betting was, the law was more directed at SportBooks and bookies and such, but they worded it in such a way it scared allot of other forms of online gaming, our CEO was talking to me about this daily while it was occuring, we had to explain it time and time again to our customers that it was not us cutting them off, but their Government and to call their local offices to voice their opinion, then they snuck the bill in under a security bill that had nothing to do with the gaming bill, so it go signed more or less under the radar, Our CEO is also a Lawyer who lived in Vegas his entire life, he knew the law down to every last word, i knew every little detail about the passed law, and poker was not illegal, but banks that allowed money to be deposited to online gaming sites was, so banks just cut off everyone, mostly because of scare tactics from the government.

It isn't the sites fault you cant get your money easily, go complain to your local congress and your government for trying to determine what you can do with your money.

yes. which is why i favor excise taxation as a matter of general policy. tax liquor, tax cigarretes, tax/legalize cocaine,meth,gambling, etc. and any other chemical or practice which falls under the scientifically established/proven definition of "addiction". We as a society already pay the price for these addictions. We have decided to make it a moral imperative to wage war on drugs, tobacco, alcoholism, etc. already. We spend billions every year to combat these problems.

Anyone with the least bit of familiarity with this medical condition is aware that the vast majority of addicts are unlikely to ever recover because their brain chemistry (rewards system) has been irreversibly altered by their addiction. People who recover are the exception, not the rule. Making the practices/substances which lead to addiction illegal has proven a fruitless mandate, as it just goes underground. We waste billions on police enforcement, social programs, and foreign aid to deal with a problem that is essentially intractable.

It makes more sense to me to tax it into oblivion and use the proceeds to solve the problems created by these addictions.

Well, cocaine, alcohol, and heroine are all physical addictions. Despite whatever rewards system someone may feel in their brain, I still dont think you can lump poker into these addictions. I am by nature not an addict. There is nothing I am addicted to. But if I were to voluntarily start shooting up heroine as a test of my willpower, I would become addicted whether I liked it or not.

But you cant force someone to play poker and ever expect them to just become addicted. People who are "addicted" to gambling just lack discipline, and need a good ass kicking to stop. People who are addicted to drugs or alcohol need a major medical intervention.

Well, cocaine, alcohol, and heroine are all physical addictions. Despite whatever rewards system someone may feel in their brain, I still dont think you can lump poker into these addictions. I am by nature not an addict. There is nothing I am addicted to. But if I were to voluntarily start shooting up heroine as a test of my willpower, I would become addicted whether I liked it or not.

But you cant force someone to play poker and ever expect them to just become addicted. People who are "addicted" to gambling just lack discipline, and need a good ass kicking to stop. People who are addicted to drugs or alcohol need a major medical intervention.

right. the problem is that science has concluded that gambling works on the same system as addictive substances, causing the same alterations in brain structure and function. so, for gambling addicts, the point is moot. a simple asskicking isn't enough. they too need a major medical intervention. and the numbers show that for addicts, "major medical interventions" are largely ineffective in successfully "curing" them.

there is a huge swath of behavioral neuroscience data to support this position.

this is the government's gambling industry vs. the people's gambling industry. gambling will always be legal- the government calls it "stock market" and they dont want any competition.

Haha, online poker was never made illegal? Ehrm, please explain to me why I have to go through countless loopholes just to withdraw a couple hundred dollars from my Full Tilt Poker account. Just so you are aware, poker falls under the type of online gambling that was considered 'unlawful' according to the UIGEA. So yes, online poker was severely affected by the bill.

amen, it took me a month to get my money

I do feel the whole online gambling thing has gotten out of control.

Here in the UK it is massive. The legacy of this Labour govt, will be the following -

Turning the population into retarded, agressive, drunken, jobless gamblers.

On tv the only adverts we get now are for mascara, digestive yoghurt, gambling and Govt ads telling what to do and what not to do.

We have loads of gambling companies pushing poker, roulette, bingo etc.

Its really quite sad thats all folks here apsire too - being drunk, gambling, having big lashes and trying not to be constipated.

True that... For some reason people want the government to act like everybody's parents instead of leaving everybody alone to their individual freedoms.

If we leave people free to do anything they want, they might make the wrong decision. We have to make the wrong decisions illegal so people will only choose to do what we want, which is not gamble.

Back