• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Onkyon S790 with PC

ellover009

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 17, 2005
Messages
1,911
I have narrowed some things down, I'm gonna pick up withing the next 2 days an onkyo S790 unit as my home theather system, I would like to know can that be hooked up to an Audigy X-FI platinum? Currently bought 2 days ago waiting to get speakers before I swap out my audigy 2zx. I'm gonna use the onkyo S790 mostly with the TV Xbox ect but would like to know how to hook it up to my pc. I'm also gonna get a speaker set for my PC for gaming, music and movies, Devating between Klipsch promedia 5.1 Ultra and Logitech 5500, I listened them at a store where they weren't on sale for test porpuses. The klipsch had a tight bass, sounded great, but the logitech could go louder and sound difference was comparable with exeption of bass, would love the klipsch if I could fing a set that won't die on me anytime soon. I have the logitech Z-640, They are a nice set but they are not as loud as when I got them 5yrs ago. For some reason the sound is not the same and I'ts just not loud anymore.
So it's narrowed down to
How do I hook up Onkyo S790 to PC?
Klipsch or logitech?
 
the onkyo reciever has 2 optical inputs as well as a coax, easy connection to the xfi. Not only that it also has 2 available analog inputs.


and I'd go klipsch over logitech hands down.
 
The S790 just came out not too long ago, looks like a sweet systme for the $$, I live in a medium apartment so it should be plenty power for $$. I was tempted to build my own system but unless you got at least 1.5K you won't be able to build a bad ass system, and it's capabilities won't even be used to it's full potential. I currently have a beat up yamaha receiver that I got for free and 4 sony 60watt speakers, sounds ok but it lacks imputs and flexibility.
 
Depends.

If you are going to use the S790 for when you are playign PC games: NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Creative products are pieces of shit. I have no idea why people love them. They do not offer Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect, which makes their sound cards completely useless.

So, if you are playing agame on the S790 via your computer, it will not be in Dolby Digital, as your 'simply amazing' creative sound card can not pass a 5.1 signal to the receiver, it can only send a 2.1 signal.

Also, Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect will turn any 2.1 sound into 5.1.
 
himmy said:
Depends.

If you are going to use the S790 for when you are playign PC games: NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Creative products are pieces of shit. I have no idea why people love them. They do not offer Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect, which makes their sound cards completely useless.

So, if you are playing agame on the S790 via your computer, it will not be in Dolby Digital, as your 'simply amazing' creative sound card can not pass a 5.1 signal to the receiver, it can only send a 2.1 signal.

Also, Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect will turn any 2.1 sound into 5.1.


No I'll be using the S790 for my home entertainment system, but was curious if it was possible to hook up to my pc, in case I wanted to run a presentation from my pc to my tv it would be an advantage to use the theather system. Just spoke to a friend he just bought a higher end receiver the Onkyo TX-SR803, and the only thing he told me that was bad about my setup was that it lacked HDMI (you need to spend a pretty dime for HDMI), I will replace my tv next year so hdmi might be usefull but it cost an arm and a leg. I would love to build my own system but it can get expensive rather quick 500-700$ reciver, 100$ sub, speakers bout $200 pair, I found the S790- a combenient package, tried it at store loved it, gonna do more research on it. For gaming I'm gonna get either Klipsch promedia 5.1 or logitech 5500. About why ppl buy creative labs? Because they have been in the market since the dawn of time, they do-not include some DDL or DTS because they would have to obtain a lisence in order to use those codecs, they do offer THS and Dolby surround wich are the standards of Lucas Arts Films wich is the benchmarks. They have the latest EAX HD wich is what you really need for games. Same reason as why do a lot of majority of ppl still use windows instead of linux and other 3rd party OS? because it works and It's the most supported.
 
Ellover, you are misinformed on many things.

THX is nothing more than standards that most lower-medium end audio gear already exceeds.

Dolby Pro Logic(what you call 'Dolby surround') has already been replaced TWICE by Dolby themselves, with PLII and PLIIx(for 6.1 and 7.1 theaters). Both are to have a more Dolby Digital sound to them, where the rear channels aren't mono and simulate more of a stereo sound.

To get DDL or DTS-C is not much money at all, as there are numerous products that compare to Creative offerings for LESS money that have both included. After demoing them(not on shitty multimedia speakers), they sound in 2 channel was basically the same between the two, but is DDL or DTS-C the winner was NOT creative's x-fi.

People buy creative just like people think Bose is good audio gear: they advertise the shit out of it and tell you it is the best thing since the first time your penis had a mouth wrapped around it, and those people actually believe it and preach it as if it were true.
 
Ok asides your dislike for logitech, does the Onkyo S790 sound like a good system? and can someone build a system withouth HDMI thats good under 1k? If you had to choose for the PC speakers logitech or klipsch?
 
Back
Top