Onkyo TX-SR605 overkill for computer use?

Joined
Aug 30, 2006
Messages
880
The reason I ask is because it's a well-regarded unit and with current clearance prices, around what I would pay for the Pioneer 1018 I was considering. The Burr Brown DACs should be a step up over everything else in the consumer market. I know 130 Wpc is overkill, but would the sound quality for the money make it worthwhile to consider?


What about the SR705?

edit: This would eventually be used in a living room or similar setup.
 
If you want an less expensive option that does the job for audio, Panasonic XR-57 is a good idea.

HDMI

Otherwise, get the best receiver that you can afford with HDMI. Either of those is a good model. If you have inefficient speakers like satellites, more power is a good thing.
 
spaceman is absolutely right. smaller speakers like bookshelf or satellite speakers often require more power to sound decent. so the 130 wpc offer decent headroom. btw is the 130 W rating for 4 or 8 ohm ?

if you do a lot of listening at your pc the better dac and the power reserve is surely worth some money.
 
I'm using a 604 I picked up cheap secondhand...it's pretty effective. I would definitely not say "overkill" though, since I'm often snooping around for information on which way to go when I upgrade it. :D

XR-57 might be a better idea, depending on what all you want to hook up to it. Most likely is, if all you want to do is drive speakers for your computer. Take a look at the feature list for each.
 
The great thing about it is, is that when I eventually expand to cover my living room, I'll already have a great unit for that. My bedroom is probably somewhat close to 2000 cubic feet, so that extra power would be nice. I'll probably be driving some ELT525Ms to start with, so I'm not sure if that much power is necessary. I probably do about 6-8 hours of listening a day, some through headphones, some through speakers. Anyone know of the headphone out quality on the 805?

edit: Right now, I can think of 4 digital sources that I'd be using, but probably more in the future when I upgrade cable service.
 
Headphone pass-through on a receiver is usually a minor concern compared to say if you have a jack on the front of your computer or built into your speakers. It's generally much more securely mounted, for one. The quality tends to be primarily limited by the DAC/amp quality of the receiver, rather than dominated by concerns over noise and poor connections.

Oh, one thing - do you need it to convert analog video sources (e.g. component) into digital to forward over HDMI? Not all receivers do that.
 
Headphone pass-through on a receiver is usually a minor concern compared to say if you have a jack on the front of your computer or built into your speakers. It's generally much more securely mounted, for one. The quality tends to be primarily limited by the DAC/amp quality of the receiver, rather than dominated by concerns over noise and poor connections.

Oh, one thing - do you need it to convert analog video sources (e.g. component) into digital to forward over HDMI? Not all receivers do that.

While not necessary, that would be nice to have.
 
Jeez you are making me feel bad, I use the onkyo 805 solely for my computer. :(
 
The onkyo 605 does that.

Go for the 605 and is worth the money IMO.

Yeah, that's why I thought to bring it up. :D

The 604 doesn't...:(

But really, the only analog source I use is a PS2. Whee? It can just go on the Westy instead.
 
Back
Top