- Joined
- Dec 24, 2008
- Messages
- 2,232
I have this issue, and i have read the manual and played around with this reciever but i wanna see if you guys have any feedback for me.
I got an onkyo tx-sr500 reciever and i have a 5 satellites and an active sub hooked up to it. I am currently just using my onboard realtek sound via analog and it sounds fine for me.
This is the part where it seems fishy to me but maybe older recievers were weird like this:
My reciever only has the following 5.1 modes
1) direct 5.1, each channels plays EXACTLY the inputs it gets
2) dolby digital pro logic
3) DTS surround
4) it might have digital spdif surround capability, but this is irrelevant to me because my digital output on my computer only does PCM stereo as far as I know.
My computer doesn't output dolby digital or dts in any form. I can output 5.1 direct, but the problem is that most of my audio sources are regular stereo, so then i get absolutely no bass on all of stereo sources.
The reciever does have a mode where it uses the crossover to send low frequencies off to the subwoofer, but for some reason this is only in stereo. I can't find a similar setting for surround.
I managed to get my system working using 5.1 direct and downloading a new realtek driver that does "Bass Management", but it seems crude and doesn't give me any crossover settings. I'd rather use the crossover functions of my reciever.
Does this sound typical of such a reciever or am I clearly doing something wrong?
I got an onkyo tx-sr500 reciever and i have a 5 satellites and an active sub hooked up to it. I am currently just using my onboard realtek sound via analog and it sounds fine for me.
This is the part where it seems fishy to me but maybe older recievers were weird like this:
My reciever only has the following 5.1 modes
1) direct 5.1, each channels plays EXACTLY the inputs it gets
2) dolby digital pro logic
3) DTS surround
4) it might have digital spdif surround capability, but this is irrelevant to me because my digital output on my computer only does PCM stereo as far as I know.
My computer doesn't output dolby digital or dts in any form. I can output 5.1 direct, but the problem is that most of my audio sources are regular stereo, so then i get absolutely no bass on all of stereo sources.
The reciever does have a mode where it uses the crossover to send low frequencies off to the subwoofer, but for some reason this is only in stereo. I can't find a similar setting for surround.
I managed to get my system working using 5.1 direct and downloading a new realtek driver that does "Bass Management", but it seems crude and doesn't give me any crossover settings. I'd rather use the crossover functions of my reciever.
Does this sound typical of such a reciever or am I clearly doing something wrong?