Ongoing game improvement thread!!!

HackofDestruct

[H]ard|Gawd
So, i always sit around in my oh-so-comfortable leather computer chair, listening to the sweet sound of a n00b getting his head blown off, and wonder what the future of gaming will look like. Fully destructible environments, total control over objects, and of course! CIRCLES!!!! so...what do you picture when you think of Half life 8 or Unreal Tournament 2015?

i predict a continuing trend of massive numbers of mediocre games being released, with a focus on graphics over gameplay/replayability. the ground breakers will be few and far between. big and huge publishers (EA) will dehumanize the industry, more interested in money than good games.

i predict a possible pc vc console war. depending on how good the actual PS3 is when it comes out. (Not the same as an overhyped PS/2). more game developers will consider doing console only games, due to less hardware/software conflicts.

hardware, specifically CPU and graphics wise will continue to increase, providing the *possiblity* of a more immerisve experience. more attention will be spent on eye candy however, then an interactive environment (ala HL2)

i think the sucess of WoW (financially at least) will spur a variety of MMORPGS copy catters, most of which will suck.

duke nukem forever will never be released. By the time TF2 gets released, no one will care.

I for one am no longer willing to spend huge amount of money to upgrade my already awesome technology to play games that will suck. If this happens too many other people, the market will get shaken up. (or it might be another incentive to move towards consoles)

Steel Chicken said:
i think the sucess of WoW (financially at least) will spur a variety of MMORPGS copy catters, most of which will suck.

This already happened, but its EQ that started it :).

P.S. How does it feel having your own TV show? Theres a new show on Adult Swim called "Robot Chicken".

I predict that no one, other than through pure chance, will be able to accurately predict what video games will be like in 2015.

I hope that they'll at least have come up with a direct neural interface controller or something like that.

Screw consoles. By then, I hope to be chillin in a floating car. Actually, I'm talking about fully submersive virtual reality. You'd probably have to get a sensory deprivation tank or something, but that would be pretty sweet.

The future?

EA has taken over almost all sections of the game industry, spitting out carbon copy clone games that lack almost all and any orginality and/or fun.

The few games that do manage to get out that have at least one of the above and the zombie like programers can squezze out 4 years worth of coding in less then a year, Turn out to have major cock-ups thanks to the Gods that Run EA. Things like game stopping bugs, or random crashing every 10 mins.

And but of couarse a patch will never be released becuase EA will either
A) force them onto their next "get a game done in 9 months or your all canned"
B) Turn them into proccessed food for their other programers to eat via IV lines.

Oh and the few game compaines that are independant, they may turn out one good game, and then are either quickly bought out by ea, or sued out of existance.
(Becuase by then, EA will own the rights to things like "Computer games" and just in case "MMORPG" "FPS" "RTS" "SIMS" "ETC"

yup.

Direwolf20 said:

P.S. How does it feel having your own TV show? Theres a new show on Adult Swim called "Robot Chicken".

yeah but look at WoW sales:
"The company's most recent release was World of Warcraft®, the massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) based on the award-winning Warcraft series. It launched on November 23, 2004 in North America, Australia, and New Zealand, and promptly shattered all sales records for a PC title, as well as setting records for account creation and peak concurrency for an online game. It became the fastest PC title to sell over 240,000 units, with the biggest day one sell through in PC history. In less than three months, it had already sold over 800,000 copies in North America. With a subscriber base of more than 750,000 players and peak concurrency of over 250,000 users, World of Warcraft is now the biggest online game in North America.

Within a few months of launching in North America, World of Warcraft also launched in Korea and Europe with equal success. On January 18, 2005, World of Warcraft released in Korea, and in just one day had achieved peak concurrency of over 100,000 players. Most recently, the game launched in Europe on February 11, 2005, to even greater success than in North America. In its first day alone, World of Warcraft sold through over 280,000 copies, and in just three days, it had already sold over 380,000 units. After just its first weekend, Europe had already hit peak concurrency of over 180,000 players. World of Warcraft is now slated to release in China later this year."

How many copies did EQ sell...ever?

Ive never seen my show. Am I any good?

Heh,, I guess sony's method of nerfing the hell outta everyone to play and pay longer is finally slowly catching up to them.. EQ1 I will never touch again.. So far its made me not even look at eq2 seriously due to their behavior with the first one.. I don't wanna be in a time sink bs game, I just wanna have some damn fun

Torgo said:
I picture a game industry out of ideas. :(

One can argue that this has already happened. One can also simultaneously argue that it will never happen.

Steel Chicken said:
yeah but look at WoW sales:

but first look at blizzards reputation which makes up for any bug or lag problems and which comforts loyal blizzard followers to try out a MMORPG for the first time...

blizzard took a logical step. they got a following of devoted fans and respect(justifiably so) over the years that surpasses any devotion to any game company out there, and now its time for them to make bank off a RPG. and of course the fans will cut them an enormous amount of slack on server lag, downtimes and other bugs, because hey its blizzard. but don't let sales fool you into thinking its a superior product. blizzard could have made WOW a lot worse, and it still would have surpassed EQ in sales.

In the MMORPG market ... I predict a downward spiral of less then beta retail releases, followed by increasing server problems and patches applied after the fact. The many customers who blindly support these types of products, because they are fan boys, will only make sure this is a reality, and not just something that might happen.

The other types of games, I forsee Vastly imporved graphics, bordering on photo-realism.
Sadly plot will be but an after thought, and thus is the end result of the trend found in games today.

We can also expect to see ads in-game. The lands of Azeroth will be plastered with billboards promoting product X.

So lets talk about the Virtual Reality. Would you have the fully interactive environments? but then again, what company is going to put the time and money into creating an F.I.E?

What are you're predictions on when/how the VR is going to come about? Will it be in the arcades first? with stereo headphones and a pair of goggles? or a room? or will we make some incredible breakthrough in brain technology and be able to actually implant the game directly into our senses?

I think we're going to see more capable technology, however as the cost and manhours required to MAKE those hyperrealistic environments go through the roof, we're going to hit a huge brick wall in our ability to actually see those things come to fruition.

2007 APB, will bring the average gamer into the MMO. After that something new is going to have to hit the market to once again shake things up.

APB will be the reason why I don't finish college. And I can't wait. :cool:

logan1 said:
3D-Holographic gaming.... :D

Endorday01.jpg

Its a trap!

Direwolf20 said:

and it's the lamest pile of garbage ever...

No one really answered my inquiries, but i have a few new ones: do you think that VR will actually come out for recreational use? or will it be used for buisness and industrial use first?

HackofDestruct said:
No one really answered my inquiries, but i have a few new ones: do you think that VR will actually come out for recreational use? or will it be used for buisness and industrial use first?

I Know I would love to be able to use it for the 3d modeling I do at work.

obyj34 said:
2007 ABS, will bring the average gamer into the MMO. After that something new is going to have to hit the market to once again shake things up.

ABS will be the reason why I don't finish college. And I can't wait. :cool:

I'm afriad i dont know what that means...could anyone explain it?

There will emerge a "John Carmack" of game A.I. (or a small group of guys) someday, and we'll all marvel at how realistic computer opponents, and in game creatures behave.

Sadly, really great games don't sell. The developers that make them go under and EA cranks out another version of Madden. The remaining PC houses will spit out really beautiful FPS's that are played on rails....they will be as involving as watching a timedemo run.

Think about System Shock 2, Fallout 1/2, Planescape, Thief....the great games that 'gamers' always rave about but that never sold in real numbers.

It's like Mickey D's. Shitty food, all the same, cranked out in great volume and consumed by mindless fatbodies with great devotion.

/rantoff

Ao and EQ pretty much set the standard for MMORPGs. I've seen very little originality since either of those. WoW, while terrific eyecandy, is just using the latest engine and technology available.

Play WoW on an antiquated EQ1 system and see if it's great. NOT! Play it on a system with a A64 gig of ram, and a sacrificial soul powering the video card and you have a beautiful game, that's as original as a FOX television show.

Blizzard hasn't done much for MMORPGs other than take advantage of the times. But to give them credit, they were at the top of 'we'll let you hack to your heart's content' servers, with Diablo, Starcraft, and DiabloII.

HackofDestruct said:
I'm afriad i dont know what that means...could anyone explain it?
Why did I say ABS? I meant APB. Have GT4 on the mind.

APB or All Points Bulliten is a recently announce MMO from the creator of the GTA series. Thats really all the info on it, but I think that gives a pretty good picture. With a release date of "2007", I think this will be the first MMO to bring MMOs to the casual gamers.

Back