Oneplus 7 Pro - Screen Protectors

Mthr1

Weaksauce
What have you 7 Pro owners used for a screen protector and have been pleased with? I have not been a consistent user of screen protectors in the last couple of years, but am concerned as the 7 Pro has been my first owned phone with curved sides.

I looked at the liquid adhesive solutions (white dome). I'm concerned about how easy removal of adhesive is and how affected the oem display coatings are after removal.

Nano liquid - not really sold on if it does anything?

Tempered glass - edge adhesive have given me mixed to undesirable results with past phones.

Film protectors - most luck in the past (mainly Ghost Armor), but with curved edges and use of a case, I wonder how much of a pain film would be....especially finding one that's case friendly.

Do most of you folks just keep a naked display?

Liquid adhesive: when fully cured, peel off not too much harder than regular TGSP's. Expensive though (e.g., Whitestone Dome)

Nano liquid: snake oil

TGSP: I've never had a decent one for curved glass. Even for "2.5D" glass it's not great.

Film: I don't know what happened to these because it's not as easy to find good ones nowadays.

Soft film: these are liquid applied (like Skinomi) but always have some "orange peel texture" effect so many people hate them

Whitestone the only reliable one out there compared to the off-brand ones?

My experience with wet applied soft film has been above average with Ghost Armor. They're pricey and generally only available direct from their site or from any retail kiosk that you may have in your area.

Still unclear what most 7 Pro owners are leaning to.

Off brand LOCA's can be hit or miss. I've heard many success stories though.

I thought Oneplus phones come with a pre-applied screen protector. Why not keep it on?

Off brand LOCA's can be hit or miss. I've heard many success stories though.

I thought Oneplus phones come with a pre-applied screen protector. Why not keep it on?

Only direct sales versions from Oneplus come with the preinstalled screen protector. Carrier versions do not. Truly unfortunate.

Regarding the off brand alternatives, I understand the biggest issue are inconsistencies of the the adhesives and their mixed ability to properly cure. Hard to tell if it's the quality of the adhesive or maybe low quality UV light that they're bundled with?

I still have to see a video showing how easy it is to remove the adhesive if it gets compromised after installation and curing. Some have suggested you need to use iso alcohol to gradually remove. Others say you can peel it off after removing the protector. All sound like theories.

Could just google it:

My apologies, I was referring to removal of some of the off brand versions. Some threads have suggested that, unlike the Whitestone, that some off brand models have adhesive that actually stay stuck in the phone screen rather than completely bonded to the protector like demonstrated in your attached Whitestone video.

Oh, yeah I can see the concern then. I had a Whitestone on my P2XL and I had no complaints. I guess sometimes you get what you paid for.

Yes, I agree. Between the tray guide and better quality UV light, I can see where it would justify the 3x price. I'd pay it if it only mean a superior and reliable adhesive.

I'm guessing that Whitestone version is a one and done installation attempt? Meaning if you didn't get a good install during the first attempt (bubbles, uneven coverage, etc), there is no ability to remove and have enough adhesive to reapply for a 2nd try? I figure the protector is shot after a removal.

My P2XL kit came with two vials so you get two tries. But you're able to make sure it's on properly already before you use the UV curing light since you'd be able to see if it's on straight and if there are any bubbles.

After being cured, if you peel carefully, you will not damage the glass but you'll need to use solvent to remove the previously cured glue (supposedly you can carefully rub it off too but I'm not going to try that).

It wasn't really that hard to get it right though but I have heard other people running into problems.

Interesting how the adhesive only cures to the glass protector itself and not the phones glass.

How is the quality of the protector itself? Are the coatings close to OEM glass? I've heard wide varying accounts in the area also.

The Pixel series never had great coatings, only adequate to bad. The P2XL's coating was adequate and the Whitestone Dome's coating isn't worse nor significantly better.

Comparatively, my screen coatings are far better on the oneplus over my former LGs.

I may give the Whitestone a try....though I do use a case (Spigen Tough Armor). Is it case friendly?

Depends on your case and the phone I'd imagine. The Pixel 2 XL's glass isn't as curved as some other phones so my Whitestone Dome worked perfectly fine with the Spigen Rugged Armor. I can't say what will happen with your phone though so I'd recommend looking into XDA for people who actually own your phone and tried the Whitestone with their case.

I tried a cheap tempered glass one off Amazon. Was ass because of the curve. Threw it in the trash minutes later.

So first time I've done no protector since using smartphones. Been a few months, don't see any scratches.

Going with naked OEM glass does offer a good experience especially if the coatings are high quality.

Back