OneDrive Nonsense

Negative_3

n00b
This is more of a rant than anything...

The Windows 10 installer used to let you "only save files locally" (which was a tiny button compared to the giant "NEXT" button which enabled OneDrive)

You do not even have that option anymore. It uses OneDrive immediately and you have no say now

Your Desktop folder is no longer "C:\Users\username\Desktop" it is now "C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop" without any choice

Someone should be gunned down in the street for this and left to rot as an example to others, but it gets MUCH worse, so bear with me...

You can uninstall OneDrive and make an obfuscated configuration setting in Windows to turn your Desktop (including the special Desktop icon) back into "C:\Users\username\Desktop"

You can *attempt* to do the same for "Documents" and it simply fails

Programs that use the Windows API to put things in "Documents" will think you want "C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Documents" despite the fact that someone could fill volumes and write 90,000 PhD papers on why OneDrive is garbage on a level that transcends space and time

You cannot easily change "Documents" to mean "C:\Users\username\Documents", and so any program that uses the Windows API to write to "Documents" will continue to write to that stupid OneDrive folder

Given that a lot of projects are literally knocking on the door of file path names being too long, that extra "OneDrive" in the path name puts many projects over the edge

I could sit here all night and explain how OneDrive is garbage and could be improved. I'm not going to do that. I could sit here all night and explain 99 million other dumb things in Windows each of which are worthy of death sentences to their creators. I'm not going to do that

Why is there not rioting in the streets? Why does this operating system run the world while people just continuing on like sheep and not take action against things that are beyond "for profit" or "anti-consumer" but things that are so stupid it brings all of reality into question as to how could something so stupid even exist at all? It's a level of garbage that transcends "business practices" and enters deep philosophy which brings into question existence, god, time, a multiverse, dark energy, quantum mechanics, and so on...

Yet no one does anything about it

I don't get it

Use Windows 10 LTSC if you can get it. It doesn't come with OneDrive (and lots of other crap), so it can't be forced on you.

If you sign out of 1drive, what happens to the documents you have in that folder? Do you have to move them prior to uninstalling 1drive?
i cant remember. they might plop onto the desktop or you can just download the folder via web browser.

Just did a fresh install of Win11. Let me set my NAS as storage instead of one drive. Still signed in and available if I want to use

There's not rioting on the streets because whomever made that mistake needs to do a better job reading. I've never made that mistake while setting up OneDrive and I'm a numbskull.

This happened to me too. I didn't realize it until yesterday that my files were under "C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop". I uninstalled OneDrive and everything still works so...

I knew everything went to One drive, so it was the very 1st thing I signed out of/uninstalled/turned off upon any fresh installs of W10Pro since way back......

I think the issue with one drive is with the Home version - you are forced to use it. I never had an issue with the pro version having it in use.

This is more of a rant than anything...

The Windows 10 installer used to let you "only save files locally" (which was a tiny button compared to the giant "NEXT" button which enabled OneDrive)

You do not even have that option anymore. It uses OneDrive immediately and you have no say now

Your Desktop folder is no longer "C:\Users\username\Desktop" it is now "C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop" without any choice

Someone should be gunned down in the street for this and left to rot as an example to others, but it gets MUCH worse, so bear with me...

You can uninstall OneDrive and make an obfuscated configuration setting in Windows to turn your Desktop (including the special Desktop icon) back into "C:\Users\username\Desktop"

You can *attempt* to do the same for "Documents" and it simply fails

Programs that use the Windows API to put things in "Documents" will think you want "C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Documents" despite the fact that someone could fill volumes and write 90,000 PhD papers on why OneDrive is garbage on a level that transcends space and time

You cannot easily change "Documents" to mean "C:\Users\username\Documents", and so any program that uses the Windows API to write to "Documents" will continue to write to that stupid OneDrive folder

Given that a lot of projects are literally knocking on the door of file path names being too long, that extra "OneDrive" in the path name puts many projects over the edge

I could sit here all night and explain how OneDrive is garbage and could be improved. I'm not going to do that. I could sit here all night and explain 99 million other dumb things in Windows each of which are worthy of death sentences to their creators. I'm not going to do that

Why is there not rioting in the streets? Why does this operating system run the world while people just continuing on like sheep and not take action against things that are beyond "for profit" or "anti-consumer" but things that are so stupid it brings all of reality into question as to how could something so stupid even exist at all? It's a level of garbage that transcends "business practices" and enters deep philosophy which brings into question existence, god, time, a multiverse, dark energy, quantum mechanics, and so on...

I don't get it
Look up how to disable the Out of Box Experience OOBE for installing Windows. And then you can still make a regular old local account. You do have to jump through a couple of hoops.

Onedrive is hot garbage. Where I work they insist on using Microsoft for some reason so our documents folder is onedrive. Seems like not a terrible idea for roaming, I can access it from home through a web browser, even with the awful app on my phone.

But then there's the dark side. Our workstations are not assigned and very much communial. You sign into your account and onedrive downloads the entire content to the local drive. Eventually enough people have done this that the entire OS drive fills up completely. With the policy restrictions there's no way for the end user to delete any of this. The workstation becomes useless. IT support is not always available since we are shift workers.

The solution has been to buy bigger SSDs, but come on. This is a bandaid solution at best.

I hate onedrive.

OneDrive can be configured to only synchronize specific directories. I do that on my work Mac. Unfortunately, you need to have an IT department that isn't brain dead to allow this...

I don't get it
The answer is--because most people are stupid sheep. It's worse now than ever before too, hence 'sheeple'. The only bright side is that we will die and won't have to see what happens next as the sheeple help their overlords take over.

The answer is--because most people are stupid sheep. It's worse now than ever before too, hence 'sheeple'. The only bright side is that we will die and won't have to see what happens next as the sheeple help their overlords take over.

Amen.

Back