One XP on multiple computers?

exe163

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a copy of OEM XP currently not in use since I switched to vista some time ago. I also have couple old laptops I plan the reformat. My question is is it okay to install OS on those laptop using a single copy of xp? I really don't want to go out and buy few more copies since these laptops are only serve as backups and they are both sony vaio. Due to the age of them I doubt I can still order the windows sony disk from their website.

Thanks in advance.

Do they each still have their original COA stickers on them? If they have the license you should be ok. Technically, you are supposed to have a CD for each license, but as long as the license isn't being used on multiple systems I've never had an issue with MS giving a reactivation code. The important part is to have on license key per system.

Whether the OEM disc you have will even work with the Sony key code, well I don't know. OEM discs for XP can be really funny like that.

Assuming the keys work with the disc you have, it is perfectly legal. The media has no bearing on the legality or not...it is the key that determines this. So, if the keys from the bottom of each laptop work, you are good to go.

Correct me if I am wrong, I believe xp keys needs to match with the disk for stand alone version. I am more worry about problems when both laptops are being used together than legitimate status.

Correct me if I am wrong, I believe xp keys needs to match with the disk for stand alone version. I am more worry about problems when both laptops are being used together than legitimate status.

assuming you have 2 legal keys.. you'll be fine..

There's nothing that matches the OEM disk to the key. :)

They don't have to match, when asked to activate windows, click "Change Key" enter the correct key and then reboot,

For Example Dell disks have the key coded in them, so you are not asked for the key during install. You just have to change it when trying to activate.

I believe xp keys needs to match with the disk for stand alone version.
I'm not sure what you mean by a stand-alone version. Do you mean the OEM disc that you could buy from Newegg, versus one that shipped with a Dell?
I am more worry about problems when both laptops are being used together than legitimate status.
As mentioned above, if the keys are legit, you wouldn't have issues using the two laptops at the same time. The media is meaningless, assuming it will accept the keys you have.

Back