One would *think* ATI would learn!

PGHammer

2[H]4U
The Pricing Oddity (AGP Division) Continues!

Tell me what's *wrong* with this pricing picture, please.

http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200105+400009+4294966430+4294967040&Ne=300752

This sort of silliness is NOT unique to this particular retailer (I've found it with darn near everybody, including Newegg, the *only* e-tailer with which I've done business), and it's been going on for a year.

I refuse to ask how. What's most important is why!

Jason711 said:
that was MSRP when they were new. they wont lower it.

If they won't lower it on the non-AIW version (and they *did* for the faster AIW version) the question *still* has to beg *why*. Even if you have *no* plans to use the AIW features, you still get a faster cad for less money.

Isn't that the *textbook* definition of *bang for the buck*?

CompUSA is notorious for selling stuff at or near MSRP, even after that product has been replaced by a generation or two of newer product.

PGHammer said:
If they won't lower it on the non-AIW version (and they *did* for the faster AIW version) the question *still* has to beg *why*. Even if you have *no* plans to use the AIW features, you still get a faster cad for less money.

Isn't that the *textbook* definition of *bang for the buck*?

Because in our *neat* capitalist economy, people can *sell* anything for *any* amount of money they *want*! ATI *doesn't* make these prices, Circuit *City* does. So why don't you go bitch on their *forums*?

krameriffic said:
Because in our *neat* capitalist economy, people can *sell* anything for *any* amount of money they *want*! ATI *doesn't* make these prices, Circuit *City* does. So why don't you go bitch on their *forums*?

Fortunately because of our *neat* capitalist economy we can buy it from *other* stores that charge reasonable prices.

Also, the prices are a result of Comp USA's stupidity not ATI's.

krameriffic said:

As I plainly stated when I kicked off this thread, CompUSA is *not alone* in the Silliness.

Newegg has the same odd pricing (AIW flavor cheaper than non-AIW). In fact, if you go to most retailers (whether they sell online or not, and that *includes* both Circuit City and Best Buy), the Silliness is *repeating itself*.

"Once is happenstance; twice is coincidence; three times is enemy action."

Given that this pricing is the *norm*, not a fluke, that means that ATI must be aware of, and is condoning, it. If the AIWs were underclocked compared to their non-AIW variants, I could see it. (However, that stopped being the case when the AIW 9700 Pro shipped.) If *you* were in ATI's shoes, why would you *willingly* allow the card with *fewer* features to be priced *higher* than the same card with *more* features?

You are basically implying that ATI (as the manufacturer) has NO control over price-setting for their cards. The fact that this same silly pricing scheme is at *practically all retailers* pretty much refutes that argument.

Un4given said:
CompUSA is notorious for selling stuff at or near MSRP, even after that product has been replaced by a generation or two of newer product.

true, I saw a fx5500 for 90 bucks.

lol... this is a rediculous thread blaming ATi for the pricing of their products....

I'd invite you to check the prices of the 7800GT on NewEgg. Note how it's priced the same as the 7900GT.

*what**the**fsck**is**with**THE**ASTERISKS**??????*
Anyway, it isn't ATi making these prices, it's the resellers. So I dunno *what**the**fsck**you**are**talking**about**blaming**ati**for**these**prices*.
mmkay?

quadnad said:
I'd invite you to check the prices of the 7800GT on NewEgg. Note how it's priced the same as the 7900GT.
Wow, $10 difference. One would have assumed that there would be something atleast like a $30 difference.

I used to sell components directly into CompUSA, I can tell you from first hand experience that CompUSA pricing is completely wacky, and has nothing to do with ATI. CompUSA wants their 20% margin.

Back