One Undersea Cable Cut Explained

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is an explanation for one of the five undersea internet cables that have been cut recently but the remaining four are still a mystery. What’s your theory? Coincidence or sabotage?

A ship's anchor severed one undersea Internet cable damaged last week, it was revealed on Thursday amid ongoing outages in the Middle East and South Asia, but mystery shrouds what caused another four reported cuts. There has been speculation that five cables being cut in almost as many days was too much of a coincidence and that sabotage must have been involved.

Industrial sabotage by some 3rd party or group. Too small and lame of an operation for any world power or well developed government to carry out. If their goal was to cut off all the internet and communications, they've failed and went about it all wrong.

Terrorist hijacked commercial aircraft with box knives and flew them into the cables. Oh wait... we already did that one.. didn't we.

Aliens?

SpongeBob Squarepants?

No? How about.... over active sea monkeys?

I still like the explanation from the other thread...

Global obesity. The cable simply could not expand any further and snapped.

Where are the morons that said the US did this in advance of some Iranian invasion. What a bunch of bobo's.

Who abandons a 5-6 ton anchor with today's metal prices?

they dont abandon them usually, they use them to slow down when entering port, they drag along the bottom. big ships like supertankers have ALOT of momentum. Why use fuel to slow down when you can just stick your foot like a bike rider with no brakes.

A mystery ship from1942 that somehow traveled forward in time to...you know what? it's just easier to say 'maybe it was abandoned a long time ago.'

Another vote for sabotage. Just not likely there are 5 noob captains dragging anchors around the Med!

Another vote for sabotage. Just not likely there are 5 noob captains dragging anchors around the Med!

All 5 (and the report says there may be a duplicate report) are not in the Med.

Could be. Imagine Mr Bean sailing one large barge around the Mediterranean and Indian. I think he'd pull it off.

It was Jack Thompson screaming, "STOP PIRATING COUNTER-STRIKE AND TRAINING FOR PEER-SHOOTING RAMPAGES, YOU STUPID KIDS!"

"And there's nothing wrong with my hair."

(I wish I knew how to create Flash games. :D)

Tectonic plates are always moving apart. Maybe all that pulling stressed the cables so much that they snapped. Just a thought.

Tectonic plates are always moving apart. Maybe all that pulling stressed the cables so much that they snapped. Just a thought.

multiple plates in multiple locations snapping multiple cables with a span of a week or so?
not likely.

The 6 ton anchor got swept up in the current and plowed through the cable? ;)

Thats the same thing I thought when I read the replies. How much of a current would you have in the area if a 6 ton peice of metal was able to enough speed to bash through the cable.

If a ship is blown or moved by the current, then the anchor will drag, especially if the bottom is sand. Which in the middle east, it probably is. A large anchor would have no problem busting the internals of the cable if it crushed it or yanked on it. It may not even need to sever the cable entirely.

It should be clarified that the cables weren't all cut. The fourth outage, which was in the Falcon cable between Qatar and the UAE, wasn't physically severed; it was taken offline due to "power issues".

original arabianbusiness.com article

Dunno what exactly that means, but there it is.

I have found the culprit

laser_shark.gif

so despite being reported that there were no ships in the area 12h before and after, are we expected to believe that a 5-6 tonne chunk of metal was just drifting about like a bit of wood... is that what they are going to say happened to all of them? international abandon your anchor near expensive cabling month?:eek:

Maybe who ever was using the cable at the time decided to divide by zero?:)

Sorry math joke. In the middle of studying for a big test.

so despite being reported that there were no ships in the area 12h before and after, are we expected to believe that a 5-6 tonne chunk of metal was just drifting about like a bit of wood... is that what they are going to say happened to all of them? international abandon your anchor near expensive cabling month?:eek:

The first two breaks were in the FLAG Europe Asia and SEA-ME-WE-4 cables, which were monitored by camera and no ship traffic was seen in the time period when the breaks occurred. The article we're discussing is talking about the third cable break, which was in the FALCON cable between Oman and the UAE.

All of this is in the link.

It was Jack Thompson riding a militant dolphin while wearing a turban while hollering nuke em all and shoot em in the dark.

Even if all those cables were stretched at the same time...

The speeds are measured in meters per DECADE.
The cables are hundreds or thousands of kilometers long. Even at 1m/year you're talking < .001%/year. They're 2-3 inches thick, around a third of that being steel re-enforcement, which wouldn't snap at 5%, let alone <.1%

+1 for electronic warfare to disrupt oil trading in non-dollar only bidding.

+1 for someone dividing by zero again...

dividing by zero is the number 4 cause of under water cable outages, i don't have any proof if this, but i know from absolutely no experience in any field regarding anything involving water and/or cables. that and underwater cable eaters.

+1 for Mr Bean.

Though, I was also thinking about an Arab Capt. Mohommed Hazelwood, maybe on the "Egyptian Valdez." :D

Back