One thread maxed out is hurting entire system performance?

Kato1144

Limp Gawd
I have never had this happen before but I was downloading a steam game of several GB's in size and I started getting major system stuttering, the youtube vid I was trying to watch was lagging, and even my mouse was stuttering horribly on screen, I opened up taskmanger and found CPU 0 was pinned at 100% by steam all other cores were unloaded or lightly loaded.

This is not a issue in it self as most game download with out issue, just this one in particular needed alot of CPU for it's install but I have had this issue before with my Ryzen system were CPU 0 will get pinned with a 100% load and the rest of the system will suffer even though there is more CPU cores to go around, the only other time this has happened is when I had some HP support application glitch out and start using 100% of the CPU 0 thread, at the time I thought it was just because the app froze and started eating CPU cycles, but my steam was working just fine and installed the game with no issue besides making my computer temporary unusable.

Just to add I can't recall in the past where i had one CPU thread completely loaded and the others free and it hurt performance so bad that I was like "Wow this is just as bad as having all cores fully loaded" So I would like to ask has anyone had this issue before, is this a issue with loading CPU 0, is Windows 10 not able to move resources off that thread so when it is loaded it hurts the overall system or is this a Ryzen thing or is it a just me thing?

I'm using high performance power plan, CPU is at full clock speed of 3.83GHz 24/7

I'm going to update the AMD chipset drivers and get the AMD power plan as well, also thinking up updating my BIOS from F5d to F5, I would have already done it if it was not for the fact last time I updated form F5d my memory XMP speeds were broken and I'm not sure if that has been rectified in the new BIOS update on the website...

I'm going to update the AMD chipset drivers and get the AMD power plan as well, also thinking up updating my BIOS from F5d to F5, I would have already done it if it was not for the fact last time I updated form F5d my memory XMP speeds were broken and I'm not sure if that has been rectified in the new BIOS update on the website...
good luck, it's something in there, it's not inherent to the CPU.

were you installing to an SSD or mechanical drive? this sounds similar to an issue with mechanical drives where the cache and drive can't keep up with data being thrown at it so windows instead starts caching the data on ram until that runs out. did you happen to check what your ram usage was at the time? but i do agree that it's odd windows didn't try to load balance the usage on that core/thread.

ya I was installing the games on a mechanical HDD, I don't remember what the mem load was like I will have to keep a eye out for it in the future

well I started to download skyrim my 240GB SSD and it happened again, so i took some screen clips and this is what i found

the one thread is pinned at 100% causing system lag
cpu 100% core one.PNG

downloading is at a fast speed
steam.PNG

but what is this?
norton'.PNG

I think norton might be the cause, and well posting this the stuttering stopped but the download was still going (75% complete)
steam 2.PNG

steam 3.PNG

as you can see even though steam is hogging all of CPU 0 the system is usable, I think this is a issue to do with norton scanning incoming data in real time I just don't know why it has to all happen on CPU 0....

this makes downloading games over a few GB's a real pain in the ass. anyone have any idea why these programs all have to use CPU 0?

LOL norton!

Yeah, turn it off and see how the machine is.

ya I'm sure it will help performance but that is not a solution as i need anti virus, I just don't understand why steam and norton have to use CPU 0 only, it makes no senses especially since i have had norton 360 since 2011 and steam even longer then that and never once had this problem were they both hog one thread of a multi-threaded CPU, just fricken bazaar

ya I'm sure it will help performance but that is not a solution as i need anti virus, I just don't understand why steam and norton have to use CPU 0 only, it makes no senses especially since i have had norton 360 since 2011 and steam even longer then that and never once had this problem were they both hog one thread of a multi-threaded CPU, just fricken bazaar

If you're really interested then open a case with Symantec and Steam support. There is nothing wrong with your PC. If you really need anti malware that works, get a malware bytes license.

Try setting affinity to different threads
Say Norton gets #3 and steam gets #7. Just an idea.

Try setting affinity to different threads
Say Norton gets #3 and steam gets #7. Just an idea.

Ya that is a dam good idea, will do next time this happens.

If you're really interested then open a case with Symantec and Steam support. There is nothing wrong with your PC. If you really need anti malware that works, get a malware bytes license.

ya I should do that, but only after I exhausted all my options, I'm still using a beta UEFI, once the new micro code update is released I will flash my UEFI and see if that fixes the issue, it could be a simple as that

Ya that is a dam good idea, will do next time this happens.

ya I should do that, but only after I exhausted all my options, I'm still using a beta UEFI, once the new micro code update is released I will flash my UEFI and see if that fixes the issue, it could be a simple as that

I"m interested in this because opening a case may force one of those companies to look at how their code runs on a new arch. You may benefit many others by writing a simple email.

Back