One thousand dollar webserver challenge!

Something like this? Why is there so much dell love in these forums?

Because support contracts are a great thing to have when your server breaks.

I have One thousand dollars, and I wish to build an apache webserver that can handle 4TB of monthly internet traffic. The server will handle several users. The users will be free to do much of anything, including using PHP forums, wiki and photo gallery stuff, icecast media streaming, ruby on rails apps, and file serving.

Hmm...are you setting up a hosting service? :confused: Also, you got the $1k and 4TB figures from someone/where. Knowing how those specific numbers were obtained could be useful, like how flexible the $1k is and how the 4TB was estimated (is this a replacement for an existing server?).

You've got it all wrong. We don't need to profile the server; we need to have a profile of the applications.

So you do understand that there are wildly different performance aspects we could be interested in. Don't you? Of these four, which are we aiming at?

So, what are your suggestions?

Because support contracts are a great thing to have when your server breaks.

Hmm...are you setting up a hosting service? :confused: Also, you got the $1k and 4TB figures from someone/where. Knowing how those specific numbers were obtained could be useful, like how flexible the $1k is and how the 4TB was estimated (is this a replacement for an existing server?).

No support contracts here. The dollar figures are from my current budget. The bandwidth is from the current usage of one such machine in a rent a box deal from the planet.

Guidelines? There are books and whitepapers all over about capacity planning and performance optimzaiton. Perhaps you should read a few.

The basic idea is to do a little math and figure out some target numbers. Say you know you want to be able to have 100 users online at the same time. Once you know what those users are doing while connected, you can start figuring out what their memory, disk, and CPU demands are. And then working towards building a system that meets those goals.

Or, you can go the other way: given a particular system, how many concurrent users can it handle?

The better your mathematical model for your application, the better your estimates will be.

Back