• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

One PSU -> Multiple Boards?

Crashsector

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 10, 2001
Messages
1,125
Hello everyone. I am in the process of getting a farm of computers together to help the [H]ard Folding team and I have a quick question. I was wondering if anyone knew of the feasibility of using one standard ATX power supply (20 pin) to power two boards.

I know this sounds nuts, but it would really help my power consumption. Note that there would be no peripherals or expansion cards, just the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and integrated components.

For reference, here is the motherboard I'll most likely be using:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-228&depa=0

Thanks in advance for any info.


 
The key is amps...not watts. So you need a pretty strong PSU to do it.
 
if the scale increases, you could consider the "typical" telcom solution
where DC to DC supplies are the norm off of 48VDC, can offer efficiency advantages
running multiple boards off a single PSU will work fine provided (as pointed out) the amps are there


hmmm...Spectre seems to have beaten me to both those points :p
 
Back
Top