One Power Supply for Cluster

Oswald_

Weaksauce
I'm looking to get about (4) mini-itx boards and make a small cluster with them.

I'm having problems figuring out how I can use (1) power supply for all four of these boards. If someone could post some links or information on how to accomplish this it would be appreciated.

:confused:

first of all, what is your purpose in clustering 4 computers?

you could plug seperate picoPSU's into each mobo and run it off of a single AC-to-DC adapter.

you could purchase ATX Y-Splitter Cables/Connectors, or make your own (think hours and days of soldering...)

here's a photo gallery from a build of 5 itx mobos w/ quad cores running off 1 psu [click here] all custom made!

if you plan to do a lot of parallel processing, a discreet graphics card would be better thanks to cuda/stream/openCL for GPGPU computing.

Last edited:
first of all, what is your purpose in clustering 4 computers?

you could plug seperate picoPSU's into each mobo and run it off of a single AC-to-DC adapter.

you could purchase ATX Y-Splitter Cables/Connectors, or make your own (think hours and days of soldering...)

here's a photo gallery from a build of 5 itx mobos w/ quad cores running off 1 psu [click here] all custom made!

if you plan to do a lot of parallel processing, a discreet graphics card would be better thanks to cuda/stream/openCL for GPGPU computing.

Wow very cool project they are doing there.

So to plug the separate pico psu's into each board and use one AC-to-DC adapter im guessing i would have to splice together the black and white connections of each psu so they can all go to one adapter? Is this correct?

http://resources.mini-box.com/online/PWR-PICOPSU-120/moreimages/picoPSU-120-big3.jpg

So basically just join the black and white's together.

affirmative.
just watch the wattage ratings...

this doesn't sound cheap with 4x picoPSUs!

try the distributed computing thread...

cheers

Yeah it's going to be a bit expensive, but I need a hobby to keep me busy this winter. I plan on building a small tower and mounting the 4 boards on it to try and minimize the footprint.

Should be fun!

Back