One PC on my network losing internet access

jamiea

n00b
I have a home network with a few pc's and a network printer attached and one specific PC keeps losing its internet connection, while the other pc's can continue to browse the web. I used to have my wife reboot all of the time which would fix it for a few minutes, but that took too long, so I wrote a short script which does an ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew. This usually fixes the connection, but the loss of connectivity is still a problem. I believe I can even see the home router when I type in its' IP address, but can't see past it to the web when the failure happens.

This pc is a simple compaq running XP home and I am using the motherboard network controller rather than an add on card. Her computer is connected to a small switch which allows her to have the network printer on her desk. I added this switch recently so the printer could be shared, but it neither helped nor caused the problem to become worse. The printer does not have any network issues. The rest of the network consists of a home wireless router hooked to an IFITL DSL connection which is not giving any of the other pc's connected any trouble.

I don't think spyware is a big problem on her pc and when I remove the few cookies that are detected the problem doesn't improve. I have wondered if the built in network card was intermittently bad, but since it can still see the router, I don't understand how it could be at fault. I am definitely not a master with XP, any suggestions?

What type or router are you using? I've seen the cheapo SOHO routers do this when the get overloaded. I had a Linksys that I couldn't connect more than two PCs two because it would have this problem.

It is a SMC Barricade, but I forget the model number. Thing is, I can be using either of the other pc's without problems between the two of them (my laptop wirelessly and the old Win98 desktop). Even when I am not using any other pc or they are even powered on, the compaq desktop will lose connectivity.

I would a PCI NIC first and then go from there.

Also clean up the spyware on the machine. If it's one that has interfaced with the tcp/ip stack... this could be your root problem.

" I have wondered if the built in network card was intermittently bad, but since it can still see the router, I don't understand how it could be at fault. I am definitely not a master with XP, any suggestions"

Hard code the dns server(s) see if that fixes your problem.
Also you could try flipping your servers if you have more than 1. (Maybe your computer got in a fight with the server?!?)

Good things to try, I will do a thorough spyware search, try a real NIC, and hardcode the DNS.

Couple of quick questions, what command would tell me the DNS of my ISP on XP and would I hardcode the actual IP?

Also, if I use Spybot Search and Destroy, AdAware, and the Trend Micro online check, have I covered my bases with the spyware scan? I have been a bit paranoid about spyware scans after my boot files got deleted from my old WinME box during a spyware cleanup, but at least that got me to upgrade a really old machine to a new laptop. :)

Correct me if I am wrong but you can only hardcode the ip if you have a static ip. You would also have to log into the router to see the dns. If you didn't have the router connected all you would have to do is ipconfig /all.

You are covering all your bases on the spyware. How-ever after every scan you have to see what it wants you to delete instead of just trusting the program and deleting all it.

pettybone said:
Correct me if I am wrong but you can only hardcode the ip if you have a static ip. You would also have to log into the router to see the dns. If you didn't have the router connected all you would have to do is ipconfig /all.

You are covering all your bases on the spyware. How-ever after every scan you have to see what it wants you to delete instead of just trusting the program and deleting all it.

You can hardcode DNS servers while still using DHCP to assigne IP, Subnet, and DG info, but a DNS problem is a little bit of a shot in the dark as the the problem here.

We need more info about what "doesn't work" when its unable to access the internet. Lets start with an ipconfig /all of the PC and say a tracert to google.com
1) Open a command prompt by going to start -> run and typing "cmd" in the box. Click ok. A black dos prompt should open up.
2) type "ipconfig /all" and copy the results. Paste them into a response here.
3) (still at the dos prompt) type "tracert www.google.com". Copy and paste the results.

The next time this PC has a problem do the same things and post the results. Looking at those things will help us determine whats different and not working.

Back