One of my clients wants to be able to record audio in a room; equipment & semantics?

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
One of my clients wants to be able to continually record audio in a room; but, how? He doesn't want/need video; just audio. I figure some sort of a server with microphones going into it. Since it's audio, I'm guessing even a relatively small hard drive (320GB) would be able to record a lot of voice.

Any ideas on the equipment and the semantics?

Thanks!

I did a search for network microphone in google and found this. Robonanny

If you have any RJ45 punchdowns you could put the computer in a closet and use the cat5 to extend the microphone cable from the wall jack. Just get the microphone element and crimp it to a RJ45 plug and then a 1/8 connector on the other end into the PC.

I did a search for network microphone in google and found this. Robonanny

If you have any RJ45 punchdowns you could put the computer in a closet and use the cat5 to extend the microphone cable from the wall jack. Just get the microphone element and crimp it to a RJ45 plug and then a 1/8 connector on the other end into the PC.

RoboNanny looks good, but it looks like it's only for 1 microphone. This client needs about 8 to 10 microphones.

Also, the microphone element is pretty amazing. How did you know about it and how did you find it??

If it were for a one off you would be ok with the software, but since you need more than one location, I would suggest security cameras with audio, and a central machine acting as the server for the video and audio to be captured to. Just make sure it supports both video and audio capture.. Some may only allow triggered capture of video (or frames) without audio.

You may be able to find a card that has multiple microphone inputs or buy a bunch of usb to Mic input devices, but I don’t know of any software that would record from all the inputs, without doing it manually. It also may be difficult to find a single usb device that you can use more than one of without issues, but I'm not sure of that.

You find about Mic elements when you rip apart every electronic device you have veer owned, and then spend hours looking at component books.

Back