One more nail in the coffin for WMC - Netflix app is dead

y0bailey

Gawd
Sad day for me (more so my wife)...Earlier this month it was announce there will be no WMC support in Windows 10. But yesterday the Netflix app in WMC went the way of the dinosaur. I get a script error and am unable to watch anything on both my W7 WMC machines.

No fixes out as far as my 5 hours of frantic looking last night found.

The WMC Netflix app has been long outdated, but at least still worked. My wife is a technophobe, so having her hit the green button, use only the remote, and be able to watch live TV, recorded TV, and Netflix met all of her requirements. I also have Plex Home Theater with a button viisble in WMC, so literally she never had to touch a KB/M.

Now no more Netflix app, and NetfliXBMC is hugely unreliable in my hands (actually I just messed with again last night and I always get stuck at "Downloading 0%" despite a full Kodi re-install and removing the repository directory.

So yea. I need some moral support here. I need some new solutions for her/myself that are "wife friendly."

Time to pickup a Roku.

I gave up trying to manage Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/Youtube on my HTPC about a year ago. I still think it sucks that I have to run with another device to handle my streaming media, but it works well and the wife appreciates how simple it is to use.

I'm getting ready to drop cable (again). I might have to do something along the lines of a Roku also. Really, all I need is storage for my media and a way to play it...I don't really need a full-blown HTPC if I am not going to DVR anymore.

We'll see...it depends on how well of an OTA signal I get.

Emby/Mediabrowser and FireTV's FTW.

Emby has a client for the FireTV that works great.

Netflix app is back up and running. My life is complete again (for now).

I went ahead and supported the HDHOMERUN DVR kickstarter. I feel like we should start prepping for doomsday, even if it doesn't come until 2020 or 2023 (when win7 and win8 support drops).

Back