• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

one large 20TB partition help install Windows

a4wagon

n00b
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
24
Hi Guys,
I have an Adaptec ICP5165BR with the latest firmware and I tried to create more than 1 array. I called them up and apparently this is not possible because of the firmware and they wont have a new one because it`s retired. So fine I used all 15 2TB disk to create a raid 50 of 20* TB.

Now my problem is I still want to have 100GB for OS and rest for ISCSI targets. If I try installing windows on the 20TB volume, Windows will format MBR for the first 2TB and then don't use the rest. So basically I can`t achive what I want.

I also tried with System Rescue but I think I am doing something wrong. Is there a way with a third party software to actually slit that huge 20TB array into 1 partition for windows 100GB MBR and rest to be GPR NTFS ?

Thanks a lot guys !!! Need this fast
 
Nope. You are currently out of luck. MBR can only describe disks up to 2TB and Windows won't boot from a disk partitioned using GBR.
 
I already know this thinks .I want to see if I can have one large 20TB disk with one MBR partition and one GPT partition.
Thanks !
 
Can you just buy a 64/128G SSD for the OS drive and then use the entire 20TB raid array for the iscsi shares?

Maybe mirror the SSD in Raid 1 if you want more redundancy?
 
not really.... i don`t have space for a second ssd... i only have 16 ports.. and 15 drives so one left..
 
I already know this thinks .I want to see if I can have one large 20TB disk with one MBR partition and one GPT partition.
Thanks !

No. A disk has a single partition table. MBR, GBR, something else, whatever, there can only be one.
 
Best you could do is put 2 drives in RAID1, set those up as an MBR partition table, then configure the other 13 in the big RAID, and have them be GPT.
 
Best you could do is put 2 drives in RAID1, set those up as an MBR partition table, then configure the other 13 in the big RAID, and have them be GPT.

+1 to this, that's about all you can do with Windows. ;)
 
Back
Top