One HTPC, two TVs

hiodie

Gawd
I hope this is simpler (and cheaper) than I can currently think of, but I am making an HTPC for my main TV. I currently have a Dish vip722 receiver that is sending to my main tv and my bedroom tv (downstairs, maybe between 30 - 50 feet depending on how tidy I want the wire). Since I don't really watch anything on cable that isn't OTA (at least rarely), I want to get rid of it and replace it with an htpc for recording. The main tv is a HDTV, so that isn't the problem, it is the other tv that is a CRT.

What is the cheapest way to output to both TVs? I don't care if they display the same picture. I know I could get a networked media player or build a 2nd htpc, but I was hoping for something cheaper. I was planning on using just the 785g chipset for video, but I do have a MSI 4670 at work that I could pull. it doesn't have the DIN connector, but I have heard of limited success using a DVI => component adapter, and then just run an RCA cable for audio. But I have also read how the video card cannot support 2 monitors when using this adapter.

Is there any other way to run it to a 2nd tv? I haven't seen any, but a TV tuner with a coax out with be almost ideal, as there is currently a coax cable connecting them. I really don't want to spend >$50 for it if possible. Thanks.

there are many AVRs that will output both to HDMI and analog.....

my onkyo 605 will output via HDMI and Composite at the same time

that converter wont work unless your motherboard is designed for it.

why cant you just send svideo off your mainboard to your crt tv? or use an rf modulator and send it down that coax, that way you get sound too.

I don't have an S-Video out, just hdmi, dvi, vga. And how am I getting into the RF modulator? I need to get the analog signal first (not VGA).

the msi 4670 doesnt have svid out? edit, i guess it doesnt. looks like composite has been abandoned in newer video cards. ive been out of that loop for awhile i guess.

well, there is this option. probably cheaper to buy a new tv though- http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-to-composite.html if you really need to do it, buy a video card that supports svid out and just run that straight to the tv...

Last edited:
sorry to cut into this thread.

but may i ask, if using svid out to composite, will the picture quality be as good as DVI quality?

No, DVI quality is basically the same as (better than, maybe?) HDMI. S-video will be significantly worse. However, if you don't have HDTV, it will be hard to notice the difference. I think I am just going to look at buying a different video card and going from there.

Is hybrid crossfire really worth anything? Or can I go nvidia if I find something I like. And with nvidia, where did the transition to carrying audio over hdmi begin, the 9 series? Thanks.

If I were to buy an older card, like a 3650 or a 2400/2600 that had the component out, I can use the motherboard for my hdtv still, correct? If so, will a card like this be able to play everything fine? I am not sure if it will limit the resolution before decoding, so if I have an HD source, will it downconvert it before or after it decodes (encodes?) it?

what i read was hybrid crossfire wouldnt do much of a difference when playing back HD contents, correct me if i'm wrong.

well the biggest problem is that crt tv's are basically ancient tech now. i know they arent that long removed from store shelves, but the entire circuitry and port formats were changed entirely and trying to pair the old with the new is simply not easy. im selling my 32" jvc crt tv for this very reason, i got so sick of trying to make things work i just went out and bought a 42" lcd. if both your tv's are hdmi enabled with the same native resolution, it makes things completely straight forward.

Back