One Hour DOOM Single Player Video

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you that didn't see the livestream, the folks at Bethesda posted this video showing off almost an hour of single player DOOM gameplay. It should be noted that, even though there is a PC version of DOOM coming out, this was taken from the PS4 version of the game.

I think the statement was 13 hours of single player?????

"We dont put the story front and center, it is mostly about fighting demons" - sad for a single player game IMO.

"We dont put the story front and center, it is mostly about fighting demons" - sad for a single player game IMO.
I don't think so. As much as I love a good story, for games, gameplay is first and foremost in my mind. I wouldn't say, don't do a good story, but that is not nearly as important as good gameplay.

I don't think so. As much as I love a good story, for games, gameplay is first and foremost in my mind. I wouldn't say, don't do a good story, but that is not nearly as important as good gameplay.

Agreed. Atmosphere and really good gameplay are more important to me than story. Dont get me wrong, its gotta have an interesting story but atmosphere and gameplay are more important to me. I loved Batman Arkham Origins for example and it had a so-so story that we've all heard a million times. Arkham Knight wasn't that great of a story either. But those games had such amazing atmosphere with the scenery, the music and so on and the gameplay and combat were a blast. Those are the games Ive got several hundred hours logged on. Borderlands 2 is another Ive got 400 hours logged on but couldnt tell you what the story line of that game is.

As for Doom, I cant fucking wait for this game to come out. Any Doom game will be a day 1 buy for me. The Playstation version of Doom changed gaming for me. It'll always hold a place near and dear to me.

Personally, I am actually kind-of optimistic after about 15 minutes of watching this. The levels aren't linear, secrets are still around, lots of enemies on-screen and the graphics look quite good for a peasant console.

It's so god damned painful to watch people play FPS on a controller. Every second is agonizing to watch as it takes them so damn long to aim and they end up wasting ammo blasting people in the torso and legs when they miss headshots all too often.

Other than that, the game looks beautiful.

I kinda like the Metroid Prime vibe of it, what with all the character upgrades and codex entries.

so psyched for this campaign. to the guy who criticized id for valuing gameplay over story - really?? id write a lengthy reply except i have to go grab my shotgun & kill some demons!

Looking forward to the campaign only, though I'm not interested in the multiplayer, it still looks gory and has that classic FPS feel despite this being a console port.

Not having seen the entire thing.... I can only comment on what I saw... I think the lighting is good. Not too dark, but not bright either. I never really preferred those super dark that a lot of people like... even more so for an action game.

I take it you never played the original DOOM. You are a space marine on mars, and you are fighting Demons. That's it. That's the entire story. Zero fucks were given by the endless stream of people that purchased it and made it one the most notable video games in history.

If you want an FPS with a story, play HALO. You will get a heart warming story about the lone hero and his female partner that help save a galaxy.

If you want to face rape demons with a weapon simply named the "Big Fucking Gun" with zero regard to the how or why, then you play DOOM.

Doom was never about the substance, it was about the style.

I take it you never played the original DOOM. You are a space marine on mars, and you are fighting Demons. That's it. That's the entire story. Zero fucks were given by the endless stream of people that purchased it and made it one the most notable video games in history.

If you want an FPS with a story, play HALO. You will get a heart warming story about the lone hero and his female partner that help save a galaxy.

If you want to face rape demons with a weapon simply named the "Big Fucking Gun" with zero regard to the how or why, then you play DOOM.

Well, there WAS a sub-plot about Doomguy saving the remains of his pet rabbit...

There was a brief thing in the manual if I remember right about how the Doomguy was sent there for attacking a superior because he ordered firing on civilians or something.

Then shit hits the fan and everybody runs off with the good weapons and you hear bad things happening and go do Doomguy shit.

I never played the original Doom, but you have to give it context. It was revolutionary for its time. However, people's standards have been raised since the early 90s. What worked and what was marvelous then isn't the same as it is now. But as long as the game is good/fun overall that is all that matters. Another poster mentioned Borderlands, a decent game series with a not so good plot. The question remains if Doom is good in the other areas.

There was a brief thing in the manual if I remember right about how the Doomguy was sent there for attacking a superior because he ordered firing on civilians or something.

Then shit hits the fan and everybody runs off with the good weapons and you hear bad things happening and go do Doomguy shit.

Yep. I like games that just toss you in. No explanation: just "You're the good guy... LOOK! Some badguys! Look, you have a gun!"

I never played the original Doom, but you have to give it context. It was revolutionary for its time. However, people's standards have been raised since the early 90s. What worked and what was marvelous then isn't the same as it is now. But as long as the game is good/fun overall that is all that matters. Another poster mentioned Borderlands, a decent game series with a not so good plot. The question remains if Doom is good in the other areas.
You do play FPS, right? What's the highest monster count you have to face at a single fight without hiding, just strafing around killing monsters in the open?
FYI: In nightmare difficulty, the monsters will spawn continuously.

Not that I've played it, but I have seen some vids of it...... Brutal Doom. Try that, it should give you an impression of Doom but with a bit of modern additions in it. Hell, it even has finishers like this new Doom does. I wouldn't be surprised if the devs of this new doom saw it and was like.... That! is going in there!

With the code watch25 you can order it through Green Man Gaming for 45 bucks. I think that the code will work until May 3rd. The code will work for Mirrors Edge, Homefront and a few other new releases.

#nopreorders.

Remember Watch Dogs. Remember Arkham Knight. Remember Sim City. Remember Daiblo 3

Never forget.

#nopreorders

But seriously, I am SUPER DOOPER excited for Mirror's Edge: Catalyst. But I'm not giving the publisher a DIME of my money until the POST RELEASE reviews are out.

same with Doom.

same with Deus Ex MD.

same with every single game I purchase for the rest of my life.

Never forget. Never forget what the publishers will do once they have your money.

MP Beta was fun in a retro Q3A style , but nothing that in my opinion can hold a large player base in this day and age.
but it should work for the SP side , alot of old fans want ano-brainier FPS old school style.

It's so god damned painful to watch people play FPS on a controller. Every second is agonizing to watch as it takes them so damn long to aim and they end up wasting ammo blasting people in the torso and legs when they miss headshots all too often.

Other than that, the game looks beautiful.
DOOM's auto-aim takes care of that, right? ;)

DOOM's auto-aim takes care of that, right? ;)
Lol. I suspect auto aim gets disabled at the higher difficulties. Regardless of whether it does or not, I suspect the use of a controller is why not one person in the ID office has beat their own game in Ultra-Nightmare difficulty. (28:45 in)

I kid I kid :p

Last edited:

Exactly. With ID, the amount of story depended on the game. Doom and Quake were all about the action and the story wasn't an important element. Wolfenstein tended to be where they went more into story mode (and potentially Rage, if they hadn't messed up that one so badly).

Lol. I suspect auto aim gets disabled at the higher difficulties. Regardless of whether it does or not, I suspect the use of a controller is why not one person in the ID office has beat their own game in Ultra-Nightmare difficulty. (28:45 in)

I kid I kid :p

Hmm. Vaguely disconcerting.

That was one of the coolest things about Castlevania Symphony of the Night; the director had a rule that for potential bosses to make the cut into the final game whomever designed the boss also had to beat the boss without taking damage. A balance of challenging, but forced to be proven possible.

I'm sure all game desgners have that requirement for bosses... because without that requirement, that means the boss has an unavoidable move.

GFX look pretty good to me, and it looks like it could be fun on higher difficulties. I'll be buying, if for nothing else, I'm bored with all my current games.

Reactions: QES
like this
Looks great! So long as that ridiculous 60fps cap is removed for the final release, I'll probably be in on day one. Still, I absolutely refuse to pre order after being robbed for $60 back when RAGE came out.

Anyone else annoyed by the glowing stuff on the screen? Why do enemies start glowing when you shoot at them. Are you serious? This better be configurable. I would turn that off after the first thing turned semi transparent on me.

Borat.jpg

I'm so Excite!!!

This video sold me. It looks damn fun and pretty good on the graphics front; hopefully the textures will be a bit sharper on the PC than what we saw in this video.

Anyone else annoyed by the glowing stuff on the screen? Why do enemies start glowing when you shoot at them. Are you serious? This better be configurable. I would turn that off after the first thing turned semi transparent on me.

They explain all that a few minutes into the video. It can be turned off.

Reactions: Youn
like this
Back