• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

one for the audiophiles...

...completely depends on what's on the other side. Not enough info to answer your question.

B.B.S.
 
Which side? The device plugged into the jack, or the device powering the jack? :p

Basically why I want to know is, I went out and bought a pair of headphones which should(on paper) be a LOT better than the ones I have(power handling is rated at 1W, rated at 102dB/mW, 20-27,000hz, other headphones which cost 1/10th as much were about the same with sensitivity, not quite the same frequency range, and I don't remember the exact number but their power handling was a LOT lower, something like 300-400mW sounds right.
 
If the new headphones are able to handle more power, then maybe they need more power to sufficiently drive them. Tell us what device you are using to drive the headphones(millions of devices use headphone jacks and there is no "standard" output).
 
Uhm, power handling does not directly correspond to performance.

Your question REALLY seems to be "why aren't my headphones as good as I thought they would be" and of course there are many possible reasons for that. Some more info would be nice though.
 
Originally posted by NightRaven
Uhm, power handling does not directly correspond to performance.

Your question REALLY seems to be "why aren't my headphones as good as I thought they would be" and of course there are many possible reasons for that. Some more info would be nice though.

I know power handling doesn't directly correspond to performance. However, I was under the impression that there was some kind of standard(as the above poster mentioned) when it came to audio jacks. Comparing them on my computer, which is using an SBLive Value, the newer headphones hit the highs more clearly and the mids harder, but overall bass response is about the same. On my portable mp3 player, they sound almost identical :/ I'm considering just returning them, since they cost $40, compared to my other headphones, which cost just under $5 :p
 
Well audio, unlike power, does not run at a set precise current, voltage, etc (or else all you'd hear is the same tone...).

These are analog signals here, and they're being manipulated to create sound. Unlike most things digital, every single element in the chain can alter the sound, because they all have to handle the power that will ultimately drive the headphones/speaker. Thus a source that uses all high end components will have a markedly different output than say, a standard battery powered portable. Furthermore, the contents of say, the headphones and their cabling, will directly alter their power characteristics.

There is a sort of standard in that generally you can plug different headphones into different outputs and their relative volume won't (usually) be too different, but further than that, the differing quality of the components and purpose of the product will result in differences.

You still haven't mentioned what headphones you're talking about though...? Do remember that cost is not necessarily the most reliable indicator of quality, particularly in the lower end where margins, tense price competition, and branding can make a bigger difference than actual performance.
 
I don't see why the partciular brand of headphones should matter, but...

The new ones, are Panasonic, P/N RP-HT 455's, and the other ones are...Labtec Elite 828's. I know price isn't a direct indicator of quality, but I figured for 10x the price, I'd get a little more than what I did :p What I mean to say is, I probably assumed my $5 headphones were a lot crappier than they are, rather than assuming my $40 headphones would be a lot better than they are.
 
Even though they are more expensive than your old headphones, they are still on the lower end as far as headphones go. It's all about what you hear. If they don't sound any better to you then take them back. There's nothing you can do to magically make them sound better(well, maybe get a headphone amp). Also, what are you plugging them in to? That seems to be the question of the night.
 
Originally posted by jpmkm
Even though they are more expensive than your old headphones, they are still on the lower end as far as headphones go. It's all about what you hear. If they don't sound any better to you then take them back. There's nothing you can do to magically make them sound better(well, maybe get a headphone amp). Also, what are you plugging them in to? That seems to be the question of the night.

Yeah, I know they're not fantastic headphones or anything, and i know I can't magically make them sound better, I was just sorta wondering why they didn't sound all that much different. As for what I'm plugging them into, scroll up :p
 
Originally posted by Spewn
Yeah, I know they're not fantastic headphones or anything, and i know I can't magically make them sound better, I was just sorta wondering why they didn't sound all that much different. As for what I'm plugging them into, scroll up :p
Oh damn I read that earlier but I forgot all about it. :p I can't really think of much that would make them sound better.
 
No biggie, I'll probably just return 'em, got them from wal-mart so that won't be a problem :p
 
Back
Top