One Day Deal at TD: Seagate 2TB

Seagate has gone downhill since their prime days a few years ago, but nothing awful.

For a performance drive, not often. The WD Green was 70$ awhile ago but that's a low usage drive with lower r/w speeds. Thing about Seagate is that they got a really bad reputation awhile back from the massive batch of bad firmware drives that caused thousands of people to lose their data.

Once every week or two.
The Samsung F4 2TB has been $70 a number of times. The WD 2TB green is $70 AC/AMIR at newegg right now.

For a performance drive, not often. The WD Green was 70$ awhile ago but that's a low usage drive with lower r/w speeds. Thing about Seagate is that they got a really bad reputation awhile back from the massive batch of bad firmware drives that caused thousands of people to lose their data.

There aren't any true "performance" drives at 2TB capacity. The closest is the Samsung F4 with its 667GB platters producing very nice seq transfer rates, but access time (like all 2TB drives) isn't great due to the 5400rpm spindle speed. This seagate is significantly slower even though it runs at 5900rpm because it's only using 500GB platters.

or the Sam F4 2TB for 60's that one morning, omg I just missed that one...

Standard Seagate drives are OK, but the LP (low power) drives have high failure rates. I persoanlly do not trust any LP/Green drives from any company.

Standard Seagate drives are OK, but the LP (low power) drives have high failure rates. I persoanlly do not trust any LP/Green drives from any company.

I'm curious to know what's your reasoning. I bought a WD 2TB Green a month or 2 back and I'm using it as a external backup drive. I've heard from many people that the WD Green 2TB is one of the most reliable 2TB out there.

I haven't heard about more failures from LP/Green drives really anywhere else. Been running some in a couple of desktops for a long while now without issue.

Personally I stay away from seagate. They've been nothing but trouble for me when I've had them.

They might be trying to save power on the electronics side (ICs) and are running into problems there. If they're "undervolting" the controller, then small power fluctuations are liable to cause errors. Drives are already sensitive to that as it is.

Also, the 5900 rpm may indicate more changes that just spindle speed. They could be phasing in a low-power chipset unique to this line that just doesn't have the years of real-world testing behind it.

I have an assload of Barracuda's but none of the "low power" ones. As long as you double check the S/N against the bad firmware drives, then i don't see why owning one would be an issue.

I got one of these on black friday. I love it. The lower than normal seek times are irritating when you have a lot of disk I/O going, but it's not that bad.

I have an assload of Barracuda's but none of the "low power" ones. As long as you double check the S/N against the bad firmware drives, then i don't see why owning one would be an issue.

The serial# or the model #? You obviously won't know the serial# at purchase.

My biggest issue with seagate is the advanced replacement process.

If I ask them to ship me a drive first, and then send them my bad one, I have to pay 19.99.

WD does not require this. They just hold a little money in standby and once received, they release it.

Why the hell cant seagate do this as well?

You forgot to put the price in the thread title.

Last edited:
my buddy has about 8 of these drives in his NAS & he has yet to have any issues so far.

shame i just bought an used car or I would be on this like donkey kong.

I've had an ass load of Seagates fail on me. In fact, every single Seagate 160gig drive has failed. Bother desktop and laptop. I'll never buy another Seagate product again.

I was able to buy 2 Samsung 2TB drives for around $59 each leading up to BF. I picked up the Samsungs because they had better reviews than the Seagate and WDs.

I use these drives a mass storage for my movie collection. I can't afford for them to fail, since 2TB is a lot of data to lose. Read the review below and make your own opinion if you want to take a risk or not.

Seagate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148413&Tpk=ST32000542AS

* 5 eggs 42% (195)
* 4 eggs 13% (61)
* 3 eggs 9% (44)
* 2 eggs 7% (34)
* 1 egg 28% (132) <<<<< !!!!

in comparison Samsung has less reports of problems:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

# 5 eggs 75% (378)
# 4 eggs 10% (52)
# 3 eggs 5% (24)
# 2 eggs 4% (21)
# 1 eggs 6% (32

Personally I bought 2x 1.5GB Seagate last year from different vendors (TD + eWiz). Both are exhibiting weird behavior. When I fill them up with files directories become inaccessible, a scandisk fixes the problem sometimes, if not I have to use a low level recovery tool to copy the files to a different drive. I 'm currently running Seatools to see if I have to RMA them. Even if they pass, I can't help the feeling that I'm sitting on a timebomb waiting to explode.

The serial# or the model #? You obviously won't know the serial# at purchase.

You'd check the S/N before you started up the drive, to update the firmware before you get locked out of the drive. The issue effected Barracudas with SD15 firmware.

I've got 4 of these in my WHS and have no issues at all. I've had them a few months now.

You'd check the S/N before you started up the drive, to update the firmware before you get locked out of the drive. The issue effected Barracudas with SD15 firmware.

So this affects only that SD15 firmware? So actually any of these drives will be ok as long as you make sure the firmware is updated?

Back