One Cat5e to AV rack enough?

MinPins

Limp Gawd
I am moving into a house that is 'somewhat' pre-wired for Ethernet but there is only one Cat5e cable running to where my AV rack will be. I can run 2-3 more cables to the area but that will require at least a couple hours worth of work as well as some gymnastics on top of a ladder in the utility room and some skilled work with my push rods and fish tape.

In my AV rack the following devices have RJ45 ports that I plan to use:

• AV Receiver
  • PS3
  • WD TV Live Hub
  • Dish Network ViP 612
  • Transporter (Slim Devices)
  • Blu-Ray Player
I already have an 8 port D-Link switch that I can use at the AV rack, but will having this many devices on one cable affect my ability to do things like stream HD Netflix while still using the cable for audio streaming or if I add a HTPC later?

I'm not really averse to doing the work to install the extra cables, I just want to make certain that just one cable will be fully capable of handling the load without any issues.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't think so, a 1gb link to a switch in the av rack to your basement should be enough.

I'd personally run the extra drops, but a single drop should handle that fine.

Thanks guys.
My switch and router are GB and almost all of the wiring, keystones and connectors are Cat6 with some Cat5e thrown in. The cable to the AV rack area is Cat5e, not sure why they did that...

Cat5e is gigabit capable. Cat6 is overkill but good to install for longevity. I would pull extra lines for spare usage later on. You'll be pissed if you have to pull a new line because your existing line went down and nothing will work until you get the new line installed. Get the spares in while the one line is working.

Back