One BIG problem of Note7

It is sad that reviewers never talk about one important thing about new devices. And this is radiation level. Galaxy Note7 has very high radiation compared to other Galaxy smartphones. It has radiation 1,28 W/kg (body) in Europe (in USA it should have even higher), which is very high compared to Galaxy S7 edge which have 0,51 W/kg (body). I think limit in Europe is 1,5 or 2,0 W/kg.

And reviewers also don't talk about one other BIG problem with Samsungs smartphones. And this is uneven color temperature on the screen. If you turn on 5 same Galaxy smartphones and put on their screens white color you will see that some of them will not have even white. Some will have in some parts of the screen white more greenish or grayish or pinkish. Specialy Galaxy S6 have this problem and S7 edge too. This definitely ruin good feeling of using smartphone. It is really weird that nobody reviewer talk about that. I don't know if Note7 still have this problem. I would be surprised if don't have it.

I think the people who care about cell phone radiation represent less than 1% of the market. We currently live in a world where we are bombarding ourselves with wireless signals 24/7 and anyone who claims to have a health issues due to it are labeled as crazies.

Well, it IS microwave radiation, you know, and human bodies are literally made mostly of water which is the pretty much the single most reactive substance to microwave radiation so while the actual dosage levels are very small the fact that it's happening - not just from a cell/smart phone in your hand held to your head - but also vastly more powerful signals radiating off the cellular towers themselves, and microwave ovens, and a whole variety of hardware pumping out microwave radiation to various levels 24/7. One reason for "Antennagate" with the iPhone 4 was Apple's oh so brilliant engineers actually put the antennas in the metal frame of the phone and allowed people to come into direct contact with their skin - when that happens meaning an antenna radiating energy in the microwave range which is where cell phones operate - the energy being radiated got sucked up by the cells in our hands and bodies on a much larger scale hence signals dropping for people when they held the phone as expected.

Of course, Steve Jobs in his infinite assholiness did respond to someone by email one time telling them they were holding it wrong - as if there's a special way you're supposed to hold a god damned smartphone, I mean really. I knew it was going to be a big hassle during the introduction of the iPhone 4 itself, the keynote speech that Jobs made. During the speech and demo the multiple iPhone 4 devices they had all failed to work properly either from the cell site near the convention center nor the Wi-Fi inside the convention hall. Jobs tried to make a joke about it and told the audience too many people were congesting the cell/Wi-Fi which was laughable. Why?

Because the iPhone 3GS he was demoing against the iPhone 4 had full bars for cellular and worked great on Wi-Fi in the convention hall as well. In that demo the iPhone 3GS did not fail at any task they demoed with it while the iPhone 4 failed most everything for connectivity.

"That's right, Steve, blame the audience for your terribly designed product and fire the engineers that thought you can put a microwave radiating antenna in contact with organic tissue, you moron..." :)

Unless you live someplace like a deserted island in the middle of the ocean several thousand miles from the nearest transmitter of microwave radiation then yep, you're getting some of it.

If your life is such that you worry about harmless cellular-phone non-ionizing radiation...you live a pretty damned easy life.

And/or you are a hypochondriac.

Along with other issues as well...

The performance issues, S Pen stuck issues, screen scratch resistance issues...etc

This gotta be one of the most problematic launch for Note series so far.

From what I've experienced, no display is 100% alike in any device, even in identical model (non-professional) monitors and TVs, you'll see color and temp differences in the same display out of the box. I've had to RMA almost every phone I've bought so far for various things and every replacement has had a slightly, but noticeably different color temperature difference. All you can do is try to tweak/calibrate it as best you can in the settings if the OEM lets you, or root and do it yourself as I've done on my 6P.

As for the rads.. yeah no one really cares about that and have been willing to get a little brain cancer so they can keep feeding their gadget addiction.

I've had to RMA almost every phone I've bought so far for various things ...

Ever think maybe you're just being a wee bit too picky if you're returning almost every phone you've bought? Just a tad picky on the quest for the perfect device? :)

Ever think maybe you're just being a wee bit too picky if you're returning almost every phone you've bought? Just a tad picky on the quest for the perfect device? :)

And this is why our devices are so expensive.

From what I've experienced, no display is 100% alike in any device, even in identical model (non-professional) monitors and TVs, you'll see color and temp differences in the same display out of the box. I've had to RMA almost every phone I've bought so far for various things and every replacement has had a slightly, but noticeably different color temperature difference. All you can do is try to tweak/calibrate it as best you can in the settings if the OEM lets you, or root and do it yourself as I've done on my 6P.

As for the rads.. yeah no one really cares about that and have been willing to get a little brain cancer so they can keep feeding their gadget addiction.

Do you know how I can calibrate display only in right part? Because on my Galaxy S7 edge I have on the right part of the screen white color more greenish. I would be so happy if there was an app which can allow me to calibrate display only on this right side.

Nope.

Gnex: Within a week of ownership I got random reboots almost daily while on stock ROM, unrooted, and after a factory reset. Replacement was good.

Note 2: Pretty much the same as above, though slightly less frequently over the course of 2 weeks. Replacement was good.

One M8: Busted top speaker out of the box; distorted terribly at any volume. 1st replacement had a bad build defect (which was somewhat common and someone else actually made a thread about it here), it was brand new and the glass over the display wasn't glued well and protruded out from the bezel very noticeably out of the box. 2nd replacement was a refurb, which was perfect and I still have it to this day.

Nexus 6P: Same as the 1st M8; top speaker was distorting at any volume. Though I got the 6P used on Swappa, Google had no issues transferring the warranty to me and giving me a refurb to replace it, which was perfect and what I'm currently using.

You think I should have kept them all and lived with all that when they had glaring defects out of the box? You wouldn't mind paying several hundred dollars for a phone to have it reboot on you while in the middle of using it and/or hear a speaker buzzing constantly every time you played any media on it? If so, then yeah I guess I may have been too picky (for you) :p.

And this is why our devices are so expensive.

Fraid not; these phones get refurbished and resold for additional profit to the OEM/carrier. Not to mention they anticipate and budget for RMA'd devices to begin with.

Do you know how I can calibrate display only in right part? Because on my Galaxy S7 edge I have on the right part of the screen white color more greenish. I would be so happy if there was an app which can allow me to calibrate display only on this right side.

No, that actually sounds like a defective display and if it was bad enough, I would RMA it as well.

Then it seems pretty obvious you have absolutely terrible luck with consumer electronic devices maybe 'cause in all my decades of buying all kinds of devices I think maybe 3 times out of a few thousand I've had defective hardware upon purchase that when returned for exchange resulted in a second device that had nothing going on like the first purchase did. Lucky? Maybe, maybe not, depends on your perception of things I suppose but your experience(s) don't seem to be typical, at least not from my own perspective.

Then it seems pretty obvious you have absolutely terrible luck with consumer electronic devices maybe 'cause in all my decades of buying all kinds of devices I think maybe 3 times out of a few thousand I've had defective hardware upon purchase that when returned for exchange resulted in a second device that had nothing going on like the first purchase did. Lucky? Maybe, maybe not, depends on your perception of things I suppose but your experience(s) don't seem to be typical, at least not from my own perspective.

Nope, not with consumer electronic devices, just phones mostly. I very rarely have to return anything else as well. I wasn't claiming my experience was typical in any way either and I agree with you about it not being normal and me having "terrible" (was no big deal to me, RMAs were all pretty painless really) luck, at least with the phones.

Though since phones seem to be significantly more complex and compact than most other typical electronic devices, I suppose it shouldn't be too hard to believe that the return/defect rate should be considerably higher than most other electronic devices.

I guess I've been lucky. I've only RMAed motherboards and a router. That refurb router stopped working after two month. Never buying Belkin routers again.... (This was years ago.) Most recently my asus ROG M7i motherboard had to be RMAed twice. Second time, I'm like, screw it. It's like paying for a brand new motherboard... Fuck you, Asus.

Back