Once off, my PC won't start back up

ryansebiz

Limp Gawd
When I turn off my computer and turn it back on it won't get past POST. It says "No IDE hard drives detected."

I flash my CMOS, edit the BIOS, and it loads XP like normal. To test, I turn it back off and on again. Same problem - it won't get past POST without reflashing CMOS.

I tested this about three times with the same result each time. I can, however, restart the computer. I just can't turn it off without reflashing.

Oddly enough, I think this is an XP problem, as this only happens when I click on Start > Turn off Computer > Turn off. If I restart the computer, everything is fine. Even if I restart, turn it off during POST, and then turn it back on, everything is still fine.

I've had my current setup for over a year and this problem just started a couple weeks ago.

Can anyone please help me?

reflashing or resetting (clear CMOS) ?

well that is a pretty weird problem indeed, when u get to post, reconfigure your BIOS and reinstall windows from your installation CD.

I reinstalled XP this weekend. Same problem - turning off the computer results in "No IDE hard drives detected" during POST.

Any ideas?

hmm maybe its cable or maybe the pins on the board aren't reading it. could be that or your hdd. i'm having the same problem also but my OS loads but my secondary ide isn't detected when i'm done loading up the SHE BANG. its strange and i have to restart it again in order for the 2nd IDE to work :/

There's a difference between hitting the reset switch or restarting via Windows command and a full power down. During a hard reset or Windows restart, the system never actually turns off. It just commands the CPU to reinitialize.

Since it's only doing it after a full shut down that would indicate that you have a dead or inadequate CMOS battery. Remove it from the motherboard and test it with a multimeter to make sure it's putting out at least 3.0 volts. Replace it if it's not.

Since it's only doing it after a full shut down that would indicate that you have a dead or inadequate CMOS battery. Remove it from the motherboard and test it with a multimeter to make sure it's putting out at least 3.0 volts. Replace it if it's not.

Good idea - I hadn't thought of the battery as the cause of this problem.

Since I don't have a multimeter I just bought a new cr2032 battery online. I'll post back with results.

Installed the new battery today.

Unfortunately there is no difference.

I've tried everything I can think of. Is there something wrong with my motherboard? Should I RMA it?

Back