onborad lan and pci lan

xdviper

Gawd
hey, since im building a new computer, i got a asus P4 mobo and it has a onborad lan on it, and on my compaq there is a pci lan card. ok i was wondering, is there ANY difference between the onboard lan and pci lan card?. is it any faster or slower. :confused:

I have not noticed a difference. I like having a built in lan because it means one less pci card to have.

I have one of each , and doesn't seem to make a difference. The only reason that I would get one with a seperate LAN card is that if something messes up with the LAN controller, you don't have to replace the motherboard.

Thus far the only time that onboard PCI is necessarily faster then PCI is when utilizing gigabit lan on Intel boards equipped with CSA.

As for your typical, run of the mill, home network behind a router 10/100 LAN, you shouldn't see any difference, as it is usually still just a PCI device, though it is not taking up a PCI slot physically.

Again the only real excepetions are CSD and certain nForce chipsets with LAN on the MCP.

Peace.

ugh the nForce2 lan is soooooooooo slow dude, like omg kill self

this guy was getting like 15~20mbits on lan, we poped in a 3com 3c905c and boom! 85mbits :D

Generally there is no different in on-board NICs and add-in NICs. They both use the same PCI bus, but onboard NICs tend to be cheep and not offer the same speeds as some add-in NICs.

Back