• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Onboard vs. Sound Card

ProwlerTech

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
239
Is there a significant difference in quality/performance between using onboard audio versus getting a sound card? I'm just using the onboard as of now, and was contemplating throwing in a card to see what happens. Any improvements if even just a cheaper card? Thanks for any input.
 
I think you'd find that sound cards offer superior quality over *most* onboard sound controllers. The lines are quickly being blurred, however, with AMD nForce4 boards offering Soundblaster onboard sound and most others offering 7.1 support.

I do think though that my Audigy 2 is way better than my old Soundblaster. I also like to use my PC for recording my music - in which case a good sound card is the way to go.

If you like to use the latest EAX support in games and want good surround, go for a card.
 
yep, onboard sound is usually poor. motherboard mfg's usually use cheap components for onboard sound so even if you do have a nice sound controller/chip it suffers because of those poor components.
of course, if you don't have good quality speakers or headphones or even a discerning ear than you might not notice.
 
When i was using onboard sound i could hear static whenever there was harddrive activity.

Sound Card = less interference
 
It'll really depend on the hardware that you are currently using vs the hardware that you are going to throw in. I was told to "try it and see what happens" and I did.

I compared the onboard sound from my Intel D845PEBT2 mobo to a SBLive that I had sitting around. Know what? I went back to the onboard sound. Some my call this a bad choice, it's not their ears.

I found, while realizing that I was unable to A/B test, that the onboard sound offered equivalent sound quality and performance compared to the mfg drivers of the SBLive. To clairfy that, I also used the kXProject drivers for the Live. There was a subtle but noticeable improvement in sound with the kXProject drivers. They have put together a slick package and an installer that is first-rate. Whether or not the sound difference is due to the drivers or how it swaps that front-rear channels, I am unable to tell. But the difference is there, and it's better than the Creative drivers.

So why did I go back? Well, kX doesn't offer hardware sound support for gaming. That wasn't good for me. I may go back to the kX drivers and play around with software rendering (audio) just to play around some more especially as I only have 2.1 speakers), but I like hardware sound in games as my vidcrd is old enough I need all the frame boosts I can get. I also can't stand Creative's driver set (though, admittedly, the driver set for the Live doesn't take up too much room); never liked Creative software.

In short, for me, it wasn't really worth the swtich. Keep in mind, though, that I am comparing hardware that is 4 years newer than the sound card I tested. I can't comment personally, but I would imagine that, unless you have one of the higher end sound solutions from a mobo mfg, then a soundcard will sound a little better.

But try it for yourself and see. You're the only one who can make that call.
 
Back
Top