• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Onboard sound vs.creative cards

1000

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Messages
426
Hi guys. I'm in the market for a Conroe system which means new motherboard. For some time I have been running a Audigy MP3 card (not the Audigy 2.. the original one) and would like to finally ditch the card in favour of onboard sound.

In the past I've tried onboard sound and always found it to be rubbish compared to the Audigy, albeit I've only ever had mobos with AC97 onboard.

Is there an onboard solution these days that equals the Audigy/2 for sound quality and DRIVER STABILITY so I can ditch the PCI soundcard and use the slot for something more productive ?

Regards,

1000
 
1000 said:
Hi guys. I'm in the market for a Conroe system which means new motherboard. For some time I have been running a Audigy MP3 card (not the Audigy 2.. the original one) and would like to finally ditch the card in favour of onboard sound.

In the past I've tried onboard sound and always found it to be rubbish compared to the Audigy, albeit I've only ever had mobos with AC97 onboard.

Is there an onboard solution these days that equals the Audigy/2 for sound quality and DRIVER STABILITY so I can ditch the PCI soundcard and use the slot for something more productive ?

Regards,

1000

Well not sure if this is what you are looking for but I believe MSI has an onboard audigy 2 chip on one of their latest SLI boards. It's one of the best SLI/939 boards available as well. There are also external soundcards, like the extigy, but I do not believe creative makes them anymore :/ I have one laying around here somewhere.
 
TheWikipediaPwnzJ00 said:

Pointless post. Stop thread crapping everywhere


Creative cards have always been superior to onboard sound. I have an Audigy 2 ZS and have NEVER had any driver problems. I think it's the only thing I've ever owned and had zero driver problems. If you go for something modern, then I think you'd be okay with any driver issues.
 
I'm sorry, but I provided the link presuming that everybody on this forum was literate and would have the capacity to read it.
"Integrated sound on the PC"
"As of 2005, these "codecs" usually lack the hardware for direct music synthesis or even multi-channel sound, with special drivers and software making up for these lacks, at the expense of CPU speed (for example, MIDI reproduction takes away 10-15% CPU time on an Athlon XP 1600+ CPU)."

You have just been pwned by the wikipedia !
 
FWIW, for 'consumer' use (simple sound edits, gaming, movies - all on PC multimedia systems or medium-ish quality headphones), Realtek's ALC88x (HD Audio) solutions are very much the equal of the Audigy 1 series, and - really - halfway between the Audigy 1 and Audigy 2. With current drivers, you'll likely enjoy it better than the A1.

That said, the A2 is (marginally) better, and for those with 'tin ears', the X-Fi and professional solutions (external Firewire devices) are all going to sound miles better.
 
NO ONE has the mental capacity required to pwn the wikipedia. My link was relevant and not a thread crap. The wiki stated that onboard sound can and will drain cpu resources.
Point me to one wiki link that provides you with a lie. Hell, it can even be vandalized. If the vandalized link is not fixed within 2 days, then you can claim you pwned the wikipedia. Right now, it pwns all of you.
 
He posted a link with info, tha'ts better than most people do on this site, leave him be.
 
Back
Top