Onboard sound broken?

Tony123

Weaksauce
I'm sooo pissed. Building my comp was a bitch. It took about 3 weeks of exchanging shit to get it working. When I was finished it was perfect. BUT NOW!!!!! The damn onboard sound won't work! I've tried multiple pairs of headphones but no luck. No matter which ones I plug in, there is a faint sound of the music I'm playing (just so I know if it's working or not) for a split second and then it goes blank. I've pluged the headphones into the different jacks and they have a different "feel" when I plug them in. Do you think this means that my Line In jack is physically damaged?

thanks for reading

sure sounds like it. You could either RMA the motherboard, or buy a cheap soundcard, both cost about the same and will produce about the same sound.

Yea, if plugging in the headphones no longer feels normal, chances are something physically broke on it.

(This is assuming you have checked ALL your software settings, and if all are set correctly, then tried to update your onboard audio and mobo drivers).

Like Superunknown98 said, you could eaither try to get the mobo fixed, or just get a sound card to bypass the onboard sound.

~Hope this helps

You did check the control panel/sounds to make sure settings were for headphones yes?

zone_86 said:
You did check the control panel/sounds to make sure settings were for headphones yes?
Even if it was set to speakers it should'nt make much diffrence (maybe just sound better).

The output jack does'nt know what's plugged into it.

Realtek drivers have auto jack sensing. If you plug in phones but you previosuly had speakers usually you have to manually run the auto jack sensing feature to get sound output to be 'correct', but this only applies to certain games (not sure about music). But alas, i don't what onboard sound the OP has, but the same rules apply. In more than one forum i have seen a simple control panel actually be the culprit on no sound, or barely audible sound.

i had the same problem... i ditched the realtek 97 drivers for nvidia ones and it work now... kind of, doesnt work if i set the controllers i have to Headphones, only works with 5.1 speaker setup(im using sennheiser hd485HP), i can listen to music and stuff, but the max volume isent all that loud, in videogames(Farcry) i get all ambient effects(forest sounds, bullet casings hitting ground, knife swing, bullet richochet) in full, but everything else is barly audible.

At aynrate... might be part of your pbolem as well perhaps?

Back