• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Onboard sound and CPU performance

UltimateMan

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 9, 2004
Messages
494
Alright, I just saw some numbers from the [H]ardcore:rolleyes: website of gamespot.com

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-1240-x-x-x&body_pagenum=8

that basically shows serious FPS decreases in HL2 with a computer using onboard sound as compared to a computer with a nice soundcard. Now this makes sense to me, and i am currently using onboard sound, but I was curious what you guys think of this and if you have any other site references documenting or testing this.

THANKS!!
 
it wouldn't be near that drastic at lower levels, besides, there isn't much of a difference between 75 and 65 fps, so whatever. at least the onboards sound is free
 
A friend of mine could hardly run Doom 3 on his system with the on-board sound (P4 system) but once he upgraded to a AudigyZX, he could run it no problem. I had a problem with a Asus P4XP-X mobo that would randomly lock up playing Doom 3, but a dedicated sound card worked great. As far as on board sound has come, it still isn't there.

I think most mobo reviews [H] does run tests +/- audio to see how bad the on-board audio kills you. Howerver, it's not quite what you want because they don't actually replace the sound card, they just disable/enable it.
 
Back
Top